getting a new video card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by caz21206, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

If you're planning to play games on it, don't go for anything below x1600, that's what i would do.
    But for a non-gaming machine, x1300 should be fine just like The_YongGrand said.

2. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

Maryland

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Nice! I'm in the Midwest (KS.)

Well a ram upgrade and graphics card upgrade is recommended. I have personally ran the Beta versions of Vista and it taxed my system pretty well... :\

Do let us know if you need any help. :arp:

4. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

do you know any good site with cheap prices for computer parts

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I usually check at a few sites that I buy regularly from.

Try these out.

www.newegg.com
    www.zipzoomfly.com (cards are expensive here most of the time but processors, mobos, and PSUs are pretty well priced.)
    www.chiefvalue.com
    www.clubit.com
    www.monarchcomputer.com (based in GA so it should reach you faster but they ship things out a bit slow - the rest are based in Cali.)

I gotta finish studying for an exam and then I'll help you out to see whats what. :D

6. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

thanks for your sites

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hey no problem man. Do let me know if you see anything that would fit your bill... :mrgreen:

8. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

PsYkHoTiK(or anyone) what pretty cheap video card (AGP 8X/4X) do you recommend i should get that will make me capable of aero interface in vista rtm and play games like (Sims 2, Vice City,Madden 07,NBA Live07 etc...)

9. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Agree. I tried my friend's brand new Radeon X1300 yesterday - it is a low-end graphics card, but still quite a decent gamer. Tried HL2 and Farcry and it works very good with all the highest settings without any lag/hitches. The water resolution is not very good in HL2 using the card, and only it looks slightly grainy. But I can honestly tell you that this thing suffer in FEAR. Never ever try the FEAR on X1300. :shock:

The quality of the texture/graphics is much better than the nVidia 7300GT. But the X1300 clock speeds, are not amazing for a gamer at all - 425/250.

But again, this is a very good budget card for a Vista compatible PC. Try this. :D

Radeon X1300 or X1600 or nVidia 7300GT (I heard that they are selling the XFX ones for the AGP). Hope that helps. :D

10. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

thanks for the suggestion

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

12. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Yeah, I think he should go for the Geforce 7 series coz Nvidia's game compatibility is better than ATI.Nvidia 7300GT will give decent frame rates but don't think u'll see ne graphical miracles.U could also have saved ur money for the DX10 but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

DX10 not happening soon? :confused: DX10 hardware is already out there.

7300GT is a really good card (especially for the money.) :mrgreen:

XFX is also top notch in their support (I have communicated with them previously and they are very attentive.)

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yup, TBH, the GeForce 7300 GT is a really good card for the price, especially if you get the higher-clocked GDDR3 version.

We have a review of the GeForce 7300 GT here.

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Sadly the AGP versions of 7300GT are very rare - but if I found one, that will be the miracles for the old-school AGP guys and girls. :D

16. Adrian Wong

Yup, but try searching on Pricegrabber.

From what I can find, XFX is the only one selling the AGP version of the 7300 GT. The lowest price is currently $104.99.

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

The newegg one has a $30 Mail In Rebate. :D

Amazon one is through Tiger Direct (which I don't recommend - a bit iffy.)

18. Adrian Wong

Oh, Tiger Direct has a bad rep?

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, they've been bad on honoring rebates and sub par customer service in the past. I think they revamped but i dunno. :p

20. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

well my only problem is that my motherboard supports AGP not PCI-e and if it supported pcie it wouldnt be this difficult to find a cheap video because right now my budget is only $70 and all i can get for that is a geforce 6200 or 5500,5200 or a low end ati card