gigabyte MB - what the hell is 'cpu reference voltage'

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by graysky, Dec 10, 2009.

1. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

Guess I'm used to DFI naming for various voltage settings because I have a GA-G41M-ES2L and have no idea what "CPU Reference Voltage" is... what is this?

CPU Vcore is obviously the core voltage for the processor.
    CPU Termination I am assuming is the VTT.
    CPU Reference = ?

It has the following settings:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If I'm not mistaken, that's to adjust the CPU's Gunning Transceiver Logic (GTL) voltage - to determine if the data or address signals to and from the chipset are high or low.

It could help in overclocking.

3. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

Cool, thanks for the info. The list seems to adjust automatically for the VTT you select giving you four options over the range of VTTs you chose: 0.62x, 0.63x, 0.65x, and 0.67x.

4. Adrian Wong

Yeah, if I remember correctly, it's based on the VTT.

5. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

I'm not sure if this'll help but I'll put my 2 cents in about how Reference Voltages are usually applied. Usually in electronics a a Reference Voltage or VRef is a known voltage from which all other outputs are derived.

Electronics is a black art whereby most systems "don't know" what voltage they're actually outputting. Example being a regulator doesn't know that it needs to hold the output at 12 volts, it merely knows that it has to hold the output at 10 times the level of VRef (which in this case is 1.2 Volts VRef). This is called a multiplier factor, eg; VRef x Multiplier = Output

There also the add and subtract factor, which simply works out to eg; VRef +- (Set amount) = Output. Although this configuration is rare.

6. Adrian Wong

So CPU Reference would be the reference voltage. That would be really dangerous to change, since it would affect all voltages that use it as a reference.