Google Chrome, Google’s Browser Project

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Dashken, Sep 3, 2008.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

saying FF and IE are single-threaded apps is a very misleading comment.

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Alert! a goog sucker.

Link

wow, one heck of a 'bend-over'

erm..

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

KNN... you say I'm goog sucker ah? :p

I actually like Chrome very much, after 1 day of using. Encountered a crash though and took the whole browser with it. :haha: But after restart, all my tabs came right back. Of course I'm smart to enable start with previous tabs option beforehand. :D

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well... not exactly single-threaded per se really but everything seems to be in one container and one single running process. So, theoretically if one tab goes wrong, the whole browser needs to close.

But with Chrome, you have individual process for each tab and plugin. :thumb:

Flash plugin cannot work on Vista? Sure or not...? It works fine the whole day on my Vista Ultimate notebook... :dance:

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

no la i mean that guy who wrote the review for pc world.

yeah i get what you mean but that's not the message the comic delivers. my experience has been rather positive but to say "Google has produced an excellent browser that is friendly enough to handle average browsing activities without complicating the tasks, but at the same time it's powerful enough to meet the needs of more-advanced users" when it was only launched less than 24 hrs ago, well he surely is a good sucker.

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ohh... haha... I still don't think it's recommended for users who relies heavily on add-ons/plugins. But with time, I pretty much think Chrome can be the standard and a very popular browser. :D

7. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

It's lightweight and contains one neat innovation (tabs in seperate processes) and... well that's about it. Maybe useful as a fast portable browser to run on flashdisks but in it's current state it provides nowhere near enough functionality for my desktop use. Maybe if it had an addon framework similar to firefox then it could snatch a win.

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Everytab runs it's own process. That's why it's so fast. But damn. I love it! Hahaha! Using it now too!

Edit: LOL. didn't realise this thread is 3 pages long already. Man, I love the amount of real estate Chrome gives to the web page. Super minimalist!

Webkit based renderer too. Hmmm but the font anti-aliasing setting is not as smooth as Safari's

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. peaz

well, I'll say one thing. It's definitely not the BEST browser out there. i think that is still FF at the moment. But does Chrome has the potential? I think it does, especially if the extensions framework is good and has good community support.

also, it's refreshing to have another party using the webkit framework on Windows. A lot of potential. So let's see how Google takes this on. FF is definitely in for a tough fight with Chrome now in the picture.

Safari is fun and I like it too. But to be honest, it's just a whole world on it's own, the mac world that is. Haha!

10. peaz

LOL! Check out Dashky's link from my blog! Haha.

Anyways. One more thought on Chrome, if it's skinable as how Safari did it, that'll be quite cool. Especially since both are based on webkit and we've seen how Safari skinned all the buttons when rendering the webpage :D

Attached Files:

11. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

if i am browsing with 10 tabs. how do i know which tab go wrong? :)

While it could be seen that FF is going to lose some share of the browser market. I'm more interested to see both FF and GC taking IE's share.

I use GC and found it to be nice. the lack of ability to use middle mouse button to scroll really irks me. (note, mid mouse button, not wheel.)

like what I highlighted in my Blog - Firefox was under Google's referral program before. Now Referral is no more there, and it was stopped in August. Google can't be referring FF when their GC is coming out. :D

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think it's OK if they keep the IE's share. It's already good enough to pressure them to release 2 major versions in like 3 years. :mrgreen: I might go back to IE one day. :haha:

13. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Using it now... so far so good, some problem with facebook though some apps dun work

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Question, if chrome really takes off in a big way, would goog still keen to pump $$$ into mozilla corp?

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

End the one which is using the most mem or CPU time? Or end the plugin. LMAO! :haha:

I think so. The main thing is to take away IE's share. After IE is gone... then only the dual fight lo. But dunno need how many more years la. :mrgreen:

I like GC because it's so damn responsive... and more space to work with. Taking away the title bar is genius.

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why do you want to take IE away? :(

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

More competitiveness ma... :D

Now it's 80+%... would be great to love it to like 50-60%... then everyone will really fight for it. :dance:

18. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Trying it out now and so far it is not bad, but several features seem ripped straight from Opera. :think:

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

btw, check this out Firefox: Enable Chrome's Best Features in Firefox

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008