Government To Phase-out Import Of Used Car Parts & Components Starting June 1

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chai, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

First I would like to talk about the poor Engrand used in the article. Can't they differentiate break and brake?

Back to the story, I'm really surprised that there are people buying second hand brake hoses and brake pads! Those are wear and tear parts. I don't trust the local made parts, so I recently bought some high performance brake pads from US. It wasn't expensive, but the shipping charges are as expensive as the brake pads! Oh well, I think it is worth it. I will never skimp on such items.

I usually do not encourage people buying second hand tyres, but I just did that on my wife's car, only because one of the tyres was punctured beyond repairable, and the rest of the 3 tyres are practically brand new.

I'm also surprised that people are buying used batteries. :nuts:

I agree with banning these parts, but I'm not sure what are they going to ban in phase 2... Engine? Gearbox? It's going to be a nightmare for us poor consumers.

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

lol veli pour engrandish.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sigh.. the standard of English (or England talk for these folks) has dropped so low. Even journalists these days cannot write proper English. :wall: :wall:

BTW, I agree with Chai... why the heck would anyone want to buy wear and tear parts like second-hand brakes parts or even batteries??? Seems penny-wise and pound-foolish to me, and dangerous to boot. :hand:

As for buying second-hand tyres, I tried it once and that was almost one time too many! I bought two tyres that looked really new but soon enough I found my car swerving left and right. Guess what was the problem?

The tyres were not used much (that is true) but they were more than 8 years old!!! The side walls were so weak that the car was literally slipping left and right over the tyres. So damn dangerous... :hand:

I learned then to check for the tyre manufacturing date even for new tyres.

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

There is a datecode written on the side of the tyre if you know how to read them. Tyres have a lifespan of about 4 years. Buy new la ... important component of the car.

5. Chai

Yeah, shouldn't save money on those.

But you will be surprised how popular are those second brake calipers. They are not recommended as those seals may wear off. But it looks really cool, real Brembos. :lol:

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

My father bought a used timing belt and almost destroyed the whole engine when it broke.

Then, he had to buy a new one, imported and everything just to make sure that it is more safe. Never skimp on the crucial parts of a car anyway. :whistle:

7. Chai

Wow...used timing belt. That's a first. They should never be sold used!

8. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

At another time, he bought a cheap one after it snapped off. No good too. Few months later it almost snapped. Never ever skimp on that also! :faint:

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Actually happened already, some spare part dealers told me certain parts like engine could not be brought in anymore already

10. Chai

That's very very bad news...

11. Adrian Wong

When I first bought them, I didn't know enough to check... and the tyres looked really new. :wall:

Well, now I do! I even check when I buy new tyres because the tyres can be new and yet a few years old!

12. Chai

If the new tyres are like 2 years old, you may still consider it if you know the tyres can't last more than 2 years with your driving style. :haha:

13. Adrian Wong

LOL! Yeah.. I don't mind if the tyres are 1-2 years old. But my tyres generally last me about 2 years plus.