Grand Opening...Need Some Mobo Help

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by CatAtomic, Nov 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatAtomic

CatAtomic Newbie

Oh my gosh...virgin turf... :D

I've wound up here via a Google Search for "what does APIC mean in BIOS?" but, heck, let me tell you my problem...

The mobo is a Chaintech CT-7VJL, AMD 2000+ XP processor, 512MB PC2100 RAM, Chaintech GeForce4 MX440 vidcard and a WD 80GB HDD. The problem is I cannot run the computer at the correct 133 megahertz CPU speed...the computer stops...fans and video stop...the power and HDD LEDs remain lit. My workaround has been to underclock the CPU to 100Mhz...then it runs like a champ.

I've switched power supplies and tested the RAM and HDD in another machine. PC Health in BIOS shows the CPU temp at 45C.

More than one review of this mobo has mentiond weak chipset cooling so I've ordered a HSF.

Got any other ideas :?:

2. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Firstly, welcome to ARP. Yeah, this forum is still a virgin, if you would like to call it that. But let me assure you, we are all 'seasoned' professionals around here.

So after you switch the power supply, does the mobo boots up? I would think that it does right because you said that BIOS shows the temps of the CPU. Then how about the OS? Do you have an OS?

After switching the FSB back to 133 with the new PS, does your system boots up?

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It maybe your PC2100 not capable of running at aggressive timings. Make sure the RAM is running at 133MHz, and not 166MHz with the HCLK+33 option or even HCLK+66 which makes your RAM running at 200MHz!

4. CatAtomic

CatAtomic Newbie

Thanks for the replys guys...Google search link sent me to the old forum and I noticed there had been no posts since October...then I found the link to the new forum...

The computer boots at the 133Mhz CPU speed and I can stay in BIOS without problem. The BIOS settings were all optimized default. The OS is SuSE Linux...the longest I've been able to stay with the OS loaded is perhaps 1 hour. At the 100Mhz CPU speed there are no problems.

I put the RAM in my other computer and used it for a couple of days and there was no problem.

All the utilities and drivers that came with the mobo are Windows based but I'll soon have XP for it. Also, tomorrow I should be getting a chipset cooler for the northbridge. I suspect this is where the problem lies...the reviews of the CT-7VJL mention a weak design in this area...no FAQs or support database at the Chaintech site. The user's guide for the mobo is slim on info...

I'll keep you posted...thanks for looking...from what I saw in the old forum I can tell you guys know your stuff... :D

5. Chai

Maybe you should try reseting your BIOS to default settings, instead of optimized.

What's the 'another computer' specification? Have you tried swapping the RAMs?

Chipset cooler shouldn't be an issue, because manufacturers have to make sure they will run at 133MHz. Unless you are overclocking. :)

6. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

A AMD Chip running at 45C should not be a problem.. coz i m using Duron 800 running at 51C, it still running well... Hehe something a bit slow la....coz big programing running ;)

7. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

My XP1800+ runs aroung 54C using stock cooling from AMD retail box. Those small fans are almost useless.... :roll:

8. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Hahha if you bought an AMD chip, just forget about the cooling fans that they provide... Just get a better one, hahah AMD mah !!! :lol:

9. Chai

My 1600+ @ 1.75GHz (2100+) using 1.85V vcore is quite stable and cool, 43C at load currently :D

10. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Hei Chai water cooling system mah
    haaha :lol:

11. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Yeah ler....

Chai, what brand of watercooling kit are you using? I am just curious because I might want to do that route for my next build. :lol:

/me looks around for me girlfriend...... :roll:

12. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Chai's using Swiftec's ater cooling solution.. i tell u, since you are in US, you should get it even it cost a lot... here... plus shipping... wah, killer man. shipping cost as much as the cooling kit itself...

Swiftec's quality is very good... nice. damn jealous :D hehe

or you can pick and choose you water cooling kits... there are quite some water blocks out there that is quite good. I kinda like the danger dan's one too. as for the radiator, u can go to those 'half-cut' shops and hunt for a heater core. fan shroud can DIY. radiator, go get any inline pump... then the tubes only lor...

quite easy lah...

13. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Is it those cooling system come with whole set is better or those DIY?? U know ny DIY can get all cangih stuff hehee :lol:

14. Chai

Yeah, water cooling is the way to go!

try www.dtekcustoms.com or www.swiftnets.com

The Dtek is still under renovation, and their site looks very unprofessional. But trust me, their products are good, so are their sale service.

You can't go wrong with either one.

15. peaz

well, just make sure you got a nice casing that can fit in everything, otherwise, you'll have to mod the case. This is optional, but it better cos u can carry your case around easily....

16. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

How about this one guys:

www.koolance.com

Everything built into the casing and it looks cool. The only drawback is the $$$$$$$

Damn it. :cry:

17. Chai

Generally, water cooling is a lot more expensive than air coolers. Koolance is OK, not the best, but it's a ready made system. Swiftech is even more expensive, but their products are superb, almost flawless. :)

I haven't tested the Koolance before, so I can't really give more comments.

18. peaz

DIY DIY DIY!!! :D hehe

i've got a heater core radiator at home waiting for me to use it.. but no time to mod my case ler....

hmm.... wait till my holidays come

19. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Wow... seem like water coolong much more popular now !!! I want to try it soon !! Haha when i upgrade my com :D

20. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

I am beginning to think that water cooling may not be the best solution:

Water != Electrical components. :twisted:

Maybe its just me. But I sure as hell know what that will turn out to be. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.