Graphics Card Repair Guide Part 2

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Senital

Senital Newbie

ok do you know any other software for over/underclocking as rivatuner only works if u have the driver for the card installed and i cant get that far :( Thanks man!

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, the NVIDIA Windows XP driver itself already has an over/underclocking utility built-in. No matter what though, you still need the driver installed first.

3. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

You can use Nibitor (nVidia BIOS editor) to flash overclocked values for your graphics card to use, it doesn't require any software to run, just edit, flash and everytime you start up you should get the same OC with or without drivers.

4. Senital

Senital Newbie

wow that sounds like just the thing i need! Thanks empire 23! and Adrian you have been Awsome :D ill try the bios flash thing now.

it appears that the card is allready at default clocks :think: its still showing lines allover the place, im supposing its a memory fault now? i guess im screwd unless anyone knows anyone that can fix this sort of problem. :(

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  5. alex.smith222

alex.smith222 Newbie

Where do I get the bits from?

Hi all,

Empire23, thanks for the guides, they are really good!

I have two broken graphics cards, one 7900GT and one 8800GTX. Both have the same problem, in that they work but there is video corruption.

Both cards are missing SMD capacitors.

The GTX is missing numbers C734 and C1020 (at the top of the card) and the 7900GT is missing number C842.

Does anyone know where I should go about buying replacement capacitors? Or where I can find out the specifications of the capacitors I need?

Thanks,

Alex

6. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

I'll be honest and say that is isn't going to be easy to find SMD capacitor replacements, but i'll try my best to help.

1st you'll have to generally determine the required Capacitance, you can do this by using a good multimeter with a capacitance function.

2nd is you'll have to determine the size of the capacitor and it's pad. Plus you'll also have to guess what kind of capacitor it is (usually ceramic or tantalum)

3rd is looking for the capacitors required. There's no real point about being picky here as most SMD capacitors as long as made by reputable companies are fine. Try Vishay, Murata or Kemet. Search through their datasheets for something that approximately fits your needs.

4th is purchase, which should be easy as Mouser, Digikey, FarnellNewark and AlliedElectronic carry very large SMD capacitor stocks.

7. alex.smith222

alex.smith222 Newbie

Thanks alot for your advice!

I will get working on that and let you know how it goes :)

8. sgj320

sgj320 Newbie

Blown graphics card

Hi I was wondering how can I determine which component have I shorted out by pluggin in the card without turning the power off. The computer just switched itself on! Yeah that was me rushing to get my pc built. The card shows lines across the screen as if it's overheating. The fan does spin though! It's an X700 am trying to repair

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

What exactly do you mean by that? Did you mean you inserted the card while the PC was running? Or did you mean that after inserting the card, the PC started but the card wasn't working?