hahah bios password

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by luqman, Jan 18, 2006.

1. luqman

luqman Newbie

ok so my friends dad put a password in their new computers BIOS and he thought when evr he forgets the password he can always flash the BIOS the only thing he didn't know was that the BIOS user settings were saved in the ROM :haha: :haha: :haha: he forgot the password and can't don anything now can't flash or don anything :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: any suggestion plz :haha: :haha: plz post

2. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

remove the battery in the mobo...if its a dell machine and depending on the mobo there are jumpers that you can remove to reset the password

3. hyper_raider

Moved thread to technical support, feel that its more suitable here

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Just clear CMOS via the jumper or removing the battery works too...

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

This isn't a question that I would expect from someone who has an A++ certification.

1 person likes this.
  6. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

that’s exactly what I thought :eh:

7. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

:haha: :haha: :haha: muahahaha :haha: :haha: :haha:
    that's a good one :thumb: lets see what he has to say about that :haha:

8. luqman

luqman Newbie

really :eh: well if i can't set the jumpers or flash the bios what do u think i should do????? as i said its saved in ROM unless i should have to explain it to u :mrgreen:

9. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

It's probably saved in NVRAM, not ROM. If the system can be booted off a floppy or CD, get a good old fashioned Win9x/DOS boot disk with debug on it and enter the following:
    debug
    o 70 2e
    o 71 ff
    q

That might do the trick, but depending on how modern the PC is it might not work. Or you could do things the easy way and look for a jumper.

10. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

There is the jumper and battery way, (remove the battery and place the jumper on the clear position), DEBUG way, and if it's a brand name PC, there can be software that will allow a complete wipe out or customized settings. I am not A+ certified, but I will be. This just proves that a piece of paper doesn’t mean ANYTHING! (Hence why I get thrown out of Best Buy for stating that the "Geek Squad" is doing things incorrectly, as well as not using any static strap's or grounding material.

11. luqman

luqman Newbie

are u okay????? i just mentioned the it saves on the rom and i can't do anything!!!! no jumper or flashing!! anyways the debug idea seems pretty intersting never tried it but i will :wicked:
    oh and thanks AAP i appriacite it :clap: ur the only one who understood what i wrote :mrgreen:

12. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

ROM = Read Only Memory
    They're programmed at the factory and can't be altered after that (other than damaged/destroyed).
    Passwords are thus most certainly not saved on a ROM. (Not even PROM or EPROM.)

The vast majority of motherboards use some sort of flash memory for the BIOS settings (including BIOS password), and that memory needs power to function. When the battery runs out (or is removed) the BIOS will return to it's default settings.

Cheers
    Olle

13. hyper_raider

14. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

You're welcome, and it's AAY by the way. The two fine posts above this one should clue you in to something you really should know, what with your many certifications:
    Settings you change through the BIOS are stored in Non-volatile Random-access Memory. This data is not stored in ROM unless you have a freaky PC which won't allow you to change any settings.

15. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

As far as I know unless your some hardcore overclockers or have some serious custom settings, most mordern BOIS default settings would be able to auto detect the HD, CPU or RAM. So even resetting the bios is unlikely to ground your PC to a halt.

16. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

...which i'm starting to doubt if half the things lugman says is true... :think: no offence, but i'll take what you say from now on with a pinch of salt, given that your 14? :whistle:

17. luqman

luqman Newbie

erm... its an old computer :shhh:

18. luqman

luqman Newbie

no offense taken AKHO :mrgreen: u are a human being and u have 100% right to be curious :!:

1 person likes this.
  19. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

well said.. :thumb:

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

How old is old?