Hard drive coolers...

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by lung, Jul 4, 2003.

1. lung

lung Just Started

A question stuck my mind when I saw the newest article on rojakpot... Do we really need these coolers? What is the purpose of it... Can hard drive be overclocked, anyway?

Is the heat that's coming from the hard drive significant enough for us to worry? :think:

2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

hehe you could've just asked this on the Review section, under that particular review's thread.

Do we really need these coolers?
    A:NO. but read below for more details.....

What is the purpose of it...
    A:Hard Drive Cooler = Cools Hard Drive. :doh:

Can hard drive be overclocked, anyway?
    A:NO

Is the heat that's coming from the hard drive significant enough for us to worry?
    A:well to you and me, it's not significant. personally i don't care about my hard disk heat.

but it really helps when you have a lot of hard disks, imagine the amount of heat generated. therefore the additional air-flow will help the system maintain cooler. lesser heat on the hard drive also helps, remember that heat is always the enemy of computer hardware (and almost everything else).

btw it's a very nice deco.

3. lung

lung Just Started

Thanks for the answers. That really cleared things up a bit for me... So from now on I'm not going to bother about hard drive coolers no more since I don't and hopefully will never need them :mrgreen:

4. goldfries

usually it's USD 15 - 30+. it's fine if i'm earning in USD. but not in RM la.

they're definitely very 'cool' things to mount on your PC.

5. Brian

Brian Newbie

this is a big misconception. the airflow will cool down the hard drive but heat up the system generally. heat from the hd will be transferred at a higher rate to the air, so the case temp goes up. remember the main reason cooling is there for is to transfer heat from a heat source to the surrounding enviroment as soon as possible so the heat source doesn't burn down. the best is to have good air circulation around the case. and hds are rated to run at considerable temps.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

No, but yes. My HDD runs 24/7, and I want maximum reliability. Cooling theoratically increase life span. HDD is also the last thing you want it to die on you. Running at 50C and beyond certainly worries me. Now it's at 42C. Nice and cool.

7. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

so... cooling the HDD is for longer life span ? I seldom feel my HDD becoming hot... its like.. the HDD is the coolest part in my whole system...

8. pmg4125

pmg4125 Newbie

I have 4 7200RPM HDD and 2 10,000 RPM SCSi. hhmm.. just imagine how hot will it be when i stuff all those in the powermac? I could call it an oven. So coolers for HDD is really useful for PC and remember, use rounded cables for optimal air flow.

9. Chai

I did say theoratically. It doesn't hurt if you cool it. See how good I respect 'my' (only a few will understand the 'quotes' :mrgreen: ) HDD?

Attached Files:

• hdd.jpg
      hdd.jpg
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Brian

Brian Newbie

wow, 120mm fan on HD? :shock:

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

My friends... it's okay if you are just running 5400 rpm drives... but if you are using a high-end 7200 rpm hard disk, you will definitely want to maximize its reliability and lifespan by COOLING it! :D

I currently have TWO 80mm fans blowing directly at my Western Digital hard disk. I may not be able to overclock my hard disk... but by keeping it cool, I ensure greater reliability, less wear and tear and of course, a longer lifespan.

So, cool your hard disk! :)

12. Chai

Shocked? How about the specs? 120x38mm 125CFM 2700rpm 65dB(estimated)? :D Running at 5V, but still buzzing a little.

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

While we are at this... I only have one small fan running beside my 2 hdd. And the 80GB Maxtor is in the 20s most of the time and I don't think this SppedFan software is scanning the temp of my 2nd 20GB drive. May I ask, what's the Temp2 and Temp3 for? :think: :shifty:

Attached Files:

14. goldfries

yes. cooling the HDD will allow longer lifespan. many other things to consider. like Chai said......he runs 24/7. highly recommended. :D

for casual home users i won't recommend it. they just on and use a short while and off.

btw Brian. the air-flow helps move the hot air to other parts to be exhausted, which helps in cooling a system. see when i mention it helps in cooling the system, i'm assuming that who every uses it has enough sense to use it on a well-ventilated system.

it's better than having the same hot air trapped in the same location, then there's no cooler air to absorb the hard disk's heat.

IMO your statement is still VALID, especially for systems that are not well-ventilated. which as you said, the air is blown away from HDD area and collected in the inside of the case. however on a well-ventilated system, i don't see a problem with that. :D

btw HDD were made to handle quite a lot of heat. :) but that doesn't mean you have to fry it.

15. Chai

Your software is monitoring your 20GB. It's a 5400rpm drive, it will run a lot cooler than 7200rpm ones. 27C looks pretty reasonable.

16. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

But the hdd0 is the 80GB and the hdd1 is the 20GB. :think:

In the detection part, it's written like this...

SMART Enabled for drive 0
    Found Maxtor 6Y080L0 (80.0GB)
    SMART Enabled for drive 1
    Found Maxtor 2B020H1 (20.0GB)

17. Chai

Wah...DiamondMax Plus 9 runs so cool... could it be due to liquid bearings? :think:

18. Brian

Brian Newbie

o i c......when i thought of your statement, i imagined it in a normal pc user case that was hot and poorly ventilated

19. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, I am thinking about buying a HDD cooler, but I may not. My case has 4 intake fans that, if arranged properly, will blow air onto my HDD. Would it be worth it?
    I got a WD @120GB and a 7200RPM.

20. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If you install the hard disk behind the intake fans, that would be just like what I'm doing now! :)

Two 80mm intake fans blowing onto the hard disk. Very cool! :twisted: