HDTVs : Plasma or LCDs?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

The black level and color statuation is enough for nosebleed already.... Trin mean it.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! Sounds like Trin wants one too!!! :twisted:

3. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

WTB ... Pana TX-42LZ80M 42" Full LCD HD at Rm3.5k (USD 1K) at SS3 Pana shop .. :D

I think is good deal.

4. cman

cman Newbie

I dont think your really going to see a difference.
    And your'l probs end up buying a LCD as there the most abundant in the market.

I would personaly get an LCD.. i use my for everything from gaming to a pc monitor. and i dont find any problems.

5. Adrian Wong

Wow.. That's cheap! But I don't think it's the 100Hz model, right?

6. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

no not 100hz .. but i think is value for money ... so I got one book .. waiting for my house to ready to have it delivered. . heheh

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

The other day, I went to my friend house, and we watched The Dark Knight - BluRay on a Panasonic 50 inch Plasma, it was freaking awesome, I have never seen a movie so 'real'.

A full HD rip which I downloaded (The dark knight) is nothing compared to the real thing

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, it will never be as good as BD. You have got to see it for yourself.

9. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Should I even bother with 100 Hz? :think:

10. Chai

If you are really watching hi def contents like BD, yes.

11. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Hmm, what a bout those 200hz lcd/plasma? i notice some comes with 200Hz (can't recall the brand)

12. Adrian Wong

I think only Sony offers 200 Hz.

I'm not sure if the panel actually refreshes that fast, or they merely generate intermediate frames to create 200 fps internally but still display at 50 Hz or 100 Hz. Not sure how that would even have an effect if the panel only refreshes at 50/100 Hz.

13. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Can your eyes really spot the diff ? 200hz .. bionic eyes..

14. Adrian Wong

Well, the thing is 100 Hz (on CRTs at least) produces a significant improvement in visual quality over 50 Hz. If you go back to 50 Hz, you will notice that it actually flickers.

15. Chai

LCD doesn't flicker, and you probably can't tell the difference with 200Hz.

60Hz to 100Hz, yes, the difference is there.

16. Adrian Wong

I haven't gone to Jason's place to test. I tried to compare in Harvey Norman, but it's hard to test because their demo videos make all of them look so good. :haha: :haha:

17. Chai

You mean Jason has 2 LCDs? :shock:

18. Adrian Wong

Oh, no, he doesn't. But you can turn the 100Hz feature on and off. :D

19. Chai

It's much better to check out from electric stores since you can see both side by side.

When there's an on off feature like that, the manufacturers will definitely make sure there's a difference, if not, who would want them?

20. Adrian Wong

Well, I have the same feature in my Sony TV. It just turns the 100 Hz feature on and off.

Yeah, will definitely compare it at the shops, of course. I just want to compare Astro feeds with and without the 100 Hz feature.

Incidentally, I compared Samsung's LCD TVs with their Plasma TVs. Surprisingly, the colour of their plasma TVs were significantly superior to their LCD TVs - much more vibrant.