Help needed setting up an Aztech 605EU ADSL modem

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by apinunt, Dec 29, 2007.

1. apinunt

apinunt Newbie

Until recently I have had 3 computers sharing a fixed IP address Satellite internet connection using a Linksys WRT54GSv4 router.
    Each computer had a unique IP, 192.168.1.1xx, and port forwarded in the router. The router is assigned IP 192.168.1.1, and the Satellite terminal (IPX5100) is assigned IP 192.168.0.1.

ADSL service has just become available in the area so I ordered it and the installers brought the equipment and were only able to set it up to work on a single computer as they did not know how to get it to work through the router. I wanted to have a fixed IP address, but had to settle for a dynamic IP address.

Looking at what they did I see that they have set the one computer's Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties to "Obtain an IP address automatically. If I understand correctly, this has nothing to do with my IP used over the Internet, but only the IP used between the computer and the ADSL modem. In order to access the ADSL modem setup, I found I had to enter 192.168.1.1 which is also my router IP, and I assume that would cause a conflict.
    I would like to have the ability to leave all computers connected to the router as previously and be able to connect the router to either the ADSL box or the Satellite box with nothing more than a cable change.
    I'm not sure what all needs to be done in the ADSL box to accomplish this, or if there might be some changes needed to be done in the router as well. Has anyone ever succeeded in doing this and able to give advice? I'm not very knowledgeable at all in this area and would appreciate any help.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Where are you located? Generally, home ADSL services do not give you a fixed IP address.

As long as you enabled DHCP on your router, you should have no problem connecting all three PCs to the router.

3. apinunt

apinunt Newbie

I'm in Thailand.
    I have a fixed IP on my Satellite connection, and the ADSL connection has a Dynamic IP.
    Everything was set up initially on the Satellite connection with each computer having an IP set 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.110, and 192.168.1.120 respectively.
    The Linksys router connected to the Satellite terminal and the default IP 192.168.1.1 was retained to view the routers setup.
    The Satellite terminal came with a default IP of 192.168.0.1 used to view it's setup.
    Everything worked fine, and now the ADSL modem?/router? came with an IP of 192.168.1.1 as a default which I assume would create a conflict with the Linksys router?
    I would like to retain the static addresses we have assigned to each computer in communicating with the Linksys router, and make what ever changes necessary to the new ADSL box, and am hoping that we can do so in such a way that would enable us to connect either the ADSL terminals line or the Satellite terminals line to the Linksys router and have internet access without changing anything in the computers or the Linksys router.

4. Adrian Wong

Well, you can turn of DHCP in the router and assign each computer its own fixed IP.

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

you can change the IP address of your router too.

but i think as long as the modem is connected to the WAN port, it shouldnt really matter i guess :think:

6. apinunt

apinunt Newbie

Attempt to clarify my situation.

I am starting with everything working fine, 3 computers each assigned an individual IP 192,168,1,1xx, accessing my Satellite terminals fixed IP Internet connection, (WAN?), through the Linksys WRT54GS router which is running in the Gateway mode.

I have just had an ADSL line installed, and the installers did not understand how to set it up with the router, so they set it up to work with a single computer, and Aztech ADSL modem is set up using DHCP causing them to change my computers setting from the previously static 192.168.1.1xx address instead to Obtain an IP address automatically. I would like to return my computer to the original fixed address and reconnect it to the router as previously.

At the same time I would like to make what ever changes necessary that would enable me to remove the cable connecting the router to the Satellite terminal, and connect it to the Aztech ADSL modem, without having to change any settings in the router or elsewhere.

Reading googled searches I have become more confused as I'm not familiar with many terms used and looking up their definitions has only caused further confusion.

Looking at the routers FW setup I notice I am using the Gateway mode and curious if I should change that to the Router mode?
    Additionally I have entries for WAN information, which I believe is the connection to the internet, and it displays IP addresses related to the Satellite terminal which would not match those of the ADSL modem. I tried changing or removing those entries which kills my internet access, so I'm trying to determine what I need to do to not have the router set up to work only with a particular internet connection, the Satellite or the ADSL one, but allow any internet connection to be plugged in and work with the three computers invisibly.

7. Adrian Wong

Plug that ADLS modem to any computer using a LAN cable. Access the setup menu and disable its DHCP server. You can also change the IP that it uses so it won't conflict with your satellite terminal.

8. zy

my guess is connect to the modem directly, see if you can change it to bridge mode. hmmmmm

the problem is the modem is running in router mode.
    another problem might be that, if you run your modem in bridge mode, you might need to enter username and password? (if your service is set to be like that)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  9. apinunt

apinunt Newbie

I've not found a tab which displays a mode setting, perhaps it's called something else?

10. Adrian Wong

Check your modem manual. There should be a page on how to switch your modem between the router mode and the bridge mode.

11. zy

12. apinunt

apinunt Newbie

I'm looking into the Bridge mode now, and will read all I can before making any changes as this is all new to me.