Help oc Athlon 64 +3000...newb

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by eg660, Dec 24, 2004.

1. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Hey I tried to raise my FSB by 10 with stock voltage is this okay or will it damage anything? Will my ocing work if i follow the thread regarding OC'ing the P4 made by Maximus Detritus? Thanks.

My Rig:

Athlon 64 +3000 (newcastle)
    MSI K8T NEO-FSR VIA K8T800 MB
    1024mb ram single

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It should, but there is another variable that gets thrown into the equation and that is the hyper transport. Make sure that it doesn't run outta specs..

3. eg660

eg660 Newbie

So the thing i did with increasing the FSB will not damage anything? Another question..is my Mobo Ocing friendly? hehehe..

Are you refering to the thread because I am all mixed up?

"It should, but there is another variable that gets thrown into the equation and that is the hyper transport. Make sure that it doesn't run outta specs.."

4. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

raising a little shouldn't matter that much.
    Your mobo is not OC friendly at all because it has no agp/pci lock, so you raise the FSB, your whole system will got raised. Too much OC your agp or pci cards won't work.

5. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

The thing with AMD is that there are more variables to tweak to OC (=

You can drop their CPU multiplier to achieve higher FSB, but with the Athlon64, or AMD 64 in general, it is common belief that with them, the FSB does not matter that much.

PsYkHoTiK has the same processor as you do, so he would have the most experience with that sort of processor in respect to overclocking.

OC'ing will NOT damage your parts if you stay within the safe limits of voltages and limitations of yoru motherboard. As for the lack of an AGP/PCI Lock.. See if a BIOS update will do the trick.

All else fails, if you dont have an AGP/PCI lock, try emailling MSi to see if they have a BIOS available that's got the aforementioned lock ;) You need this feature so that you do not push up your PCI slot and AGP slot speeds as well. This would stop yoru graphics card and PCI devices from functioning properly. (Trust me, no PCI device was ever meant to be overclocked).

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You would generally oc it like a normal CPU. All you need to remember is that the HyperTransport speed matters the most. CPU speed is important, but you must focus more on increasing the HTT speed. i.e a 250x10=2500MHz with 2000Mhz HTT is faster than a 330 x 8=2640Mhz with 1800MHz HTT.

7. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Oh my God so many information....hehehe....

Maximus- Does that mean I need to flash my bios?

PsYkHoTiK- omg that was so in depth thanks man...anyway I understand what you say.. I think....hehehe

So in summary I need to find a way for my AGP/PCI to lock..

8. Maximus_Detritus

If there is a BIOS available that has an AGP/PCI lock feature in it, then yes, you would need to flash your BIOS. Again, check with MSI on this. Try their techincal support download page or something ;)

Or, Like I said, you could try emailling them and seeing if they do have one. HTT is improtant because it deteremines how fast information gets carried around yoru system, not just how fast it is processed (something determined by CPU speed)

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

ROTFL! I hope I helped! LoL!
    WEll, the reason why a PCI lock is inportant is that the PCI bus runs off the FSB. So if you increase the FSB, the PCI bus will also increase in speed. Unfortunately, some things are VERY sensitive like some RAID controller cards. So if you overclock your PC too high, things will start to go unstable. But I think the K8T800 is ok... :think:

10. Maximus_Detritus

all K8T800 boards are supposed ot have a PCI Lock. and MSI have always prided themselves on being OC-friendly. Unless you got a different BIOS or a buggy one, and it doesnt show up.

A BIOS update might help.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I was thinking about that too.. Just don't worry about the PCI bus anymore... :haha:

12. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

K8T800 does not have pci lock while K8T800PRO has it. My asus k8v se deluxe (which is based on k8t800) does not have it. It sucks because I was looking to oc it though.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well, it shouldn't hinder you from overclocking it... ;) Just go ahead and see how high you can go... :mrgreen:

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Only new revisions of K8T800 Pro has PCI lock.

15. darkhorse

darkhorse Newbie

yeah sorry for my mistke earlier...newer rev's of board has pci/agp lock
    but i realised that k8n neo 2 board, when the fsb is pushed up high, the sata gets corrupted. wonder why? i tot it was a bug or something when i fixed and oced my friends machine but then i was reading this on msi's forum awhile ago

16. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Omg...that sucks...anyway I try to overclock it and I will post my results....hopefully I wont damage anything since this is my first Ocing....hehehe...wish me luck. :o

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Its a problem on the SATA 1 & 2 connectors. I use only the SATA 3 & 4 only...

18. good luck on oc. also, be sure to get a good heatsink if you want to oc a good deal more.

19. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Okay...heres an update....I can only increase my FSB upto 215 without increasing any voltages...now could you guys help me how to increase the voltages in a safe way I dont want to damage anything thanks... :D

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I just set mine to 1.8v and see how high I can go. :mrgreen: Well, depending on your cooling, I'd just set it a tad bit higher. What you can do is raise the voltage by one increment and push higher. Try to keep ur temp below 60c on load... ;)