Help Overlocking my Computer

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by martypastor, May 14, 2008.

1. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

Helo everyone,

I have a computer which is pentium 3 based processor and manufactured by Samsung Elec. Co. LTD in Korea, Model is Magicstation MA10.
    Ok i'll begin with
    -Without the use of the BIOS, how can i overclock the FSB or the multiplier of my PC? Because in the BIOS of my computer there are no settings to configure the voltage, FSB, etc involving the overclocking of the Processor.
    But a thing, Is ther any way than just using the BIOS to config./ OC the FSB?
    Or Putting more fans at the front of the Processor makes the FSB hiher so then the Internal clock?
    Thanks

Specifications
    -Using a Phoenix BIOS ver 4.0 Releas 6.0 OORS Made: 03/19/02
    -P3 Processor and Motherboard
    -1.00 GHz internal clock is ~996MHz and up FSB at ~133 and up, it reaches at ~1027.75 MHz or so when at 137MHz.
    -Model of the Mainboard is 6SLM-4AA, unknown maker but made in Korea.
    -256MB Extended DIMM SDRAM (128MB x 2slots)
    -640K System RAM
    -Chipset: Intel 815E
    -Windows XP SP2
    -Winfast A180BT / NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
    -Fortunately almost all of the parts here (like PSU, 1 pc. of the RAM Disk Drives except the Harddrives) are made by Samsung Electronics in Korea.
    -For more info take a look at this what i've attached in ZIP

Attached Files:

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hi! :wave:

I'm pretty sure that the motherboard is OEM based, and there's almost no room for overclocks. Have you checked the BIOS, especially in the Frequency control? :D

3. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

Can you get the bios string from when you first turn it on, that would help to identify the board.

4. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

I've searched everywhere but there is no "Freq. Control"

I didn't see the bios string diring post thats why I need to open my computer chassis to determine the model of my board.
    SMBIOS: 2.31
    SYstem Maker :Samsung Elec. Co. LTD
    Sys. Model: DeskTop Sys.
    Sys : Ver: CAAA
    Sys SN: A32192DT400866
    Sys Universal unique ID: 40AB634FDB1DB2118000F0CEB788CD80
    BIOS VER: 00RS.031902.HJU or commonly as 6.00 OORS

5. Skip Da Shu

Skip Da Shu Official BOG Supporter!

the ol' PIII 1GHz

Yes, there are some tools out there that will work after BIOS post but during windoze boot. I've never used them so can't give you names. You might try the forums at THIS site.

This will do nothing except make noise and possibly lower the CPU temp 1C.

If you don't have an FSB ("frequency control") adjustment in BIOS then how do you know what the cpu runs at with a FSB of 133 vs what it runs at with FSB at 137?

6. slugbug

slugbug Newbie

I doubt the bios has many overclocking options at all.

7. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

There is a program made by CPUID called ClockGen 1.5.0 or whatever ver. is that and using CPU-Z and other pro. to determine the FSB and the Internal clock.

Like this one which took a picture on my computer on the attachment (using ClockGen)

Attached Files:

8. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

Marty, when you first boot the computer the bios string should display in the bottom left of the monitor. Is there a splash screen from the manufacturer that pops up when you boot? If so try to disable in bios and you should see the string when you first turn on the pc.

9. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

NO LUCK? I didnt see it

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  10. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

OK , well lets try it this way then. Go to Http://scan.esupport.com run the scan there and see what you can come up with.

Trying to help ya out best I can

11. Skip Da Shu

Ah yes... ClockGen... so you already have the "post boot" tool to tweak the FSB then. Sorry, I didn't understand that earlier.

Don't know that you have any other options if there's no Clock Freq or FSB setting in the BIOS. OEM boards often do not have voltage or FSB adjustments.

12. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

Thanks for the help and heres the results
    ----------------Results-----------------
    Computer name: PASTOR-SMA10121
    Your Ticket #: 20YYKGR
    BIOS Type: Phoenix
    BIOS Date: March 19th 2002
    BIOS ID: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 00RS-None
    BIOS OEM: 6.00 00RS
    Chipset: Intel 1130 rev 4
    SuperIO: NSC 366 rev 233 at port 002E
    Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD
    Motherboard: DeskTop System
    Maximum Memory: 512MB
    Installed Memory: 256MB
    Memory Config: Slot1:128 Slot2:128
    Drivers: Your system has 23 drivers and 3 outdated drivers. View

13. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

Going by that it appears the MB is an OEM made by Samsung. You can try their support to see if there is a bios update for it, but my guess is there wont be.

Not sure if you can get much of an OC out of it. There used to be a gent up in Ma that was real good at "Hotrodding" the older p2-3s but i havent seen Atang around much on the web in years now.

Sorry couldnt have been more help to you.

14. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

Well Rraven Thanks fthanks for the help
    Here are the results

BIOS & Driver Update Scan Results:
    Print

Computer name: PASTOR-SMA10121
    Your Ticket #: 20YYKGR
    BIOS Type: Phoenix
    BIOS Date: March 19th 2002
    BIOS ID: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 00RS-None
    BIOS OEM: 6.00 00RS
    Chipset: Intel 1130 rev 4
    SuperIO: NSC 366 rev 233 at port 002E
    Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD
    Motherboard: DeskTop System
    Maximum Memory: 512MB
    Installed Memory: 256MB
    Memory Config: Slot1:128 Slot2:128
    Drivers: Your system has 23 drivers and 3 outdated drivers.

15. Skip Da Shu

Outside of what you can do with clockgen the other options I see are (in order of how much faster):

1) replace 2 x 128MB (assuming PC133) with 2 x 256MB (may require 'low density' sticks).

2) dump WinXP in favor of Win2K (if you must stay with windows) or better yet a Linux distro (If not a Linux person I'd go with Ubuntu for easy or Xubuntu for performance but still easy). The FREE option.

3) fork up $ and find a used Athlon XP, Athlon 64, P4 or Pent D system. Used P4 2.27 Dell systems going for about $75 around here. Athlon XP systems for $100~$150. Athlon 64 systems $200~$400 (depending on monitor, dvd drives, HDDs, etc. etc)

16. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

Well i guess i can do this to my RAM but the RAM slots are DIMM's using an SDRAM. Are there SDRAMS which are in low density?, and last thing the limit of the BIOS RAM of my computer is 512MB?
    Is there any plan to increase the RAM limit?
    Thanks

17. Draztic

Draztic Newbie

I agree with Skip Da Shu that this would be the way to go. You will spend maybe a bit more than the ram would cost but you will be able to get a much nicer overclock out of it, as well as a higher performance system at stock speeds too. I am not familiar with your particular system though so I may be blowing smoke...but if it has a ram limit at 512 then probably not...
    Cheers-Draz

18. Older, less expensive comps are usually great platforms for upgrading an 0c'ing but some are very ***consumer based***
    and really not meant to be touched (such as the one you have) I recommend...A NEW PC!! last time I tried working on an older pc it was a Pentium D. Even after a new Mobo working on it was still F'in hard :wall: