HELP QX6850 REBOOTS-FREEZES on screen

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by OMG_Help, May 24, 2008.

1. OMG_Help

OMG_Help Newbie

My rig

qx6850
    evga 680i
    mushkin 2gx2 1066 ( running at 800mhz for some reason)
    2x 8600 gt

I just installed my QX6850 and com freezes on screen no error msgs, or reboots.

Comp is colled 2 side fans blowing in
    2 front fans blowing in
    1 back fan blowing out
    2 top fans blowing out
    Zalman 9700NT on cpu

I need help PLEASE!

2. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

So do you actually see the bios post screen? Or is your screen just black?

3. OMG_Help

OMG_Help Newbie

It getins into the system fine, when i turn on it says my comp specs, it freezes when i am using the computer every time, or it will reboot its always either or. Never had this problem untill i put the QX6850

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

What was your previous processor?

It's most likely your mainboard, 680i is known to have poor support for quads. Try update your mainboard bios to the latest version, it should fix the problem. If it doesn't, you can try increasing the MCH voltage and pray that it becomes stable.

Alternatively, you can increase the multiplier to 11 and decrease the FSB from 333MHz to 273MHz to solve the stability issue and at the same time still retain the same clock speed (3GHz).

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Okay, did you update your motherboard's BIOS?

6. OMG_Help

OMG_Help Newbie

I've been lookinginto upgrading the bios, but id ont know how. I dont have a floppy disk or cds to burn. anyone has a link or page, or recomend a bios for me and where to download it

7. OMG_Help

OMG_Help Newbie

I hear alot of things about the P32 but i dont know much about it. I wouldn't know to to overclock anything so I am really scared

8. Adrian Wong

We have a guide on flashing the BIOS here - Tech ARP - Motherboard BIOS Flashing Guide but you should still check the official method recommended by the motherboard manufacturer, EVGA in your case.

That's easy. Just go over to EVGA.com and download the latest BIOS there. I would not recommend that you download it anywhere else. Here's a link - EVGA | Download Drivers

9. Adrian Wong

Forget about overclocking. Right now, you need to get the CPU bootable. :D

10. OMG_Help

OMG_Help Newbie

I had installed that driver, but it did not seem to do anything

11. OMG_Help

OMG_Help Newbie

computer just rebooted again. this is driving me crazy

12. Adrian Wong

No, not the driver. You need to update the BIOS.

In that screen, select BIOS updates... not drivers.

13. OMG_Help

OMG_Help Newbie

ok compatible bios is P07 and i just installed it i'll let you know how it is running

14. OMG_Help

OMG_Help Newbie

Computer has not frozen yet.

But rebooted twice in the last 15-30 minutes

15. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Its not the driver Adrian was pointing you towards it is the "BIOS Updates". You have two choices and make sure you identify your board correctly:

680i SLI and 680i LT (Screenshot attached)

Make sure you follow the flash BIOS instructions Adrian posted the link to here on techARP :D

(Missed the second page but hope this helps !!)

Attached Files:

16. OMG_Help

OMG_Help Newbie

i did i tried P32 and it would not instal when i rebooted to cd then tried the P07 it went just fine but problem still occurs

17. Adrian Wong

Which is your motherboard model? There are two EVGA 680i models.

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

His mainboard should be LT. P32 bios is for SLI and P07 is for LT. This is a really common problem on 680i chipset with FSB1333 quads.

If updating the bios doesn't work, you can try increasing the chipset voltage. Otherwise you can underclock the FSB to 273 and increase the multiplier to 11 (273x11 = 3003MHz).

19. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

It appears the 680i problem is in the Vdroop with Quad cores.

If you want to try it here's a place to start:

EVGA/DFI/XFX 680i Quad-core owners, VDROOP mod! - Overclockers Forums

This Vmod might solve your prob but you really need to be able to check the resistance/voltage with a good DMM.

Myself I would use a variable resistor instead of the pencil. Much more accurate than scratching across with graphite.

On a further note this seems to effect all the 680i boards. I did pick up on a comment that a few manufactures had redone some of the boards. Have not been able to confirm this yet though.

20. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

If that's really the case just increase the vcore to compensate for the vdroop, no need for vmod.