help with my new toy pls

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Majormaggot, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

k i just got the DFI lanparty ut nF3 250Gb board(oooooo ahhhhhhhh :D :D ), reinstalled winblows :wall: and got everything ready to sum overclocking :dance: . i wanted to know if anyone know what the two extra temp sensor are monitoring :confused: (PWM IC and system). also what kind of setting should i use for optimal OC'ing :idea: ??

-Major

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

system .. sensor located somewhere on the motherboard .. suppose to measure the air temperature in the casing :haha:

pwm - the chips porviding power to the cpu .. mainly around the cpu socket :p

3. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

ok i just did my first OC and was able to get 2404 mhz and htt of 218. i set the cpu vlotage to 1.5, ddr to 2.7 and chipset to 1.6.

can anyone tell me if this is as high as i can go or did i use a wrong setting?? im kinda new at this :wall:

-Major

Attached Files:

4. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Get a RAM divider going so that your RAM doesn't hold back your overclock. :thumb:

5. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

RAM divider?? i haven't a clue on how to do that, i'm kinda of a noob at OC'ing, so can u explain it to me please??

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

ram divider kind of like RAM/CPU ratio ..

letting your CPU run faster than your RAM..

but i dont know how A64 RAM divider works :haha:

7. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

well when i go to bios and go under Genie bios settings theres a whole bunch of settings their that i couldn't find in the guide: LDT Downstream width, LDT Upstream Width, LDT/FSB frequency ratio, CPU/FSB frequency ratio, CPU VID control, and CPU VID special control. i'm guessing that i have to change the CPU/FSB F. ratio to get a ram divider going???

8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Er....it should be something like CPU:RAM or FSB: RAM or RAM frequency/frequency ratio...

9. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

ok, i finally got sum alone time with the puter :dance: and did sum research and found these settings:

DRAM Frequency set (Mhz):
    100 (dram/FSB: 1/02)
    120 (dram/FSB: 3/05)
    133 (dram/FSB: 2/03)
    140 (dram/FSB: 7/10)
    150 (dram/FSB: 3/04)
    166 (dram/FSB: 5/06)
    180 (dram/FSB: 9/10)
    200 (dram/FSB: 1/01)
    Auto

i set it at 166 and incr. the FSB by 5mhz till i got to +15mhz OC, then went 1 step from there till i got to +22mhz OC and memtest86 started showing errors :shock: , so i when back down to +17mhz and ran memtest overnight with no errors but when i to load windows it keeps restarting :wall: , so i lowered it to +15 mhz and was able to run windows :clap: .

I hope thats not the highest i can go, b/c then i just bought a new board for nothing, i need help plz :doh: :pray:

-Major

10. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

bofe oc pics and after oc pics

Attached Files:

11. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

In your sig it says 1 Gb Kingston ram CL3...did you by any chance add another 512MB of slower RAM (PC2700)?

12. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

opps my bad, forgot to update the sig. no i just took out a 512 stick and added a 1 gb of pc3200, so now i have 1.5 gb of ram, two sticks only.

13. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

If it's all PC3200 then it's not the RAM that's holding you back at the moment.
    Try giving the CPU more voltage, say 1.55V...

14. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

i gave it the max, 1.55v and got the FSB to 224 with no errors in memtest86, but i still have to lower the FSB to 217 in order to load windows without any probs. i think i might try uppin the ram voltage and tweaking around with the timings to see if i can do anything.

also i have one question, what does "CPU VID overvoltage" do?? the options are in percentages ie. * 104, *112, etc.

thanks for the help,

-Major

15. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I think CPU VID allows for voltage options beyond the numerical value (1.55V, etc) and/or fine-tuning of the voltage provided.

If you can pass Memtest with no errors at 224FSB but can't boot into Windows, it sounds like there's a problem with either the CPU (not likely though :think: ) or the motherboard...calling S754/DFI nF3 250GB gurus :lol:

16. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

ok just finished tweaking and well... just look at the specs.

cpu: 8x multiplier, 2.4gh (from 2.2) @1.55v
    Ram: 150 (3/4) @ 218.2 mhz @ 2.6v 3-3-3-8
    FSB: 300 (still have to fine tune, just set it to this to get winblows to load)
    x3 HTT multiplier
    chipset at 1.7v

not bad for a sorta-first-try. thanks for all the help

Attached Files: