Here come the NF4 Sli x16

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by kayFX, Dec 23, 2005.

1. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Useless actually, since graphics card are still too slow to utilise that much bandwidth...

3. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

can't they run in full bandwidth?.. like to see how it perform in full bandwidth..

4. Chai

It's AGP4x vs AGP8x discussion all over again... :haha:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

They run at full bandwidth, but the graphics cards do not need so much bandwidth. So having the bandwidth of dual PCIe X16 slots isn't going to matter at all.

6. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

i've do some reading and it say that it didn't bring any significant improvement for now because currently there is no applications/ games are developed to take advantage of the extra bandwidth.. maybe in the near future we will see the advantages of the extra bandwidth.. IMHO they must not develop something that is useless.. :think:

7. Chai

It is useful for Quad SLI! :wicked:

8. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

quad SLI?.. whats that?.. :confused:

9. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

Quad SLi : http://forums.rojakpot.com/showthread.php?t=19168

i just found out something about my Asus A8N-SLi mobo.

does that mean what i think it means? utilizing one PCi-E will let it run at x16 but SLi two cards will drag it down to x8 speed? eventhough both slot support x16 speed? :confused:

also, the 7800GTX graphic cards are 24bit right? does that mean this mobo can't support it? :?

source : http://my.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=382&l1=3&l2=15&l3=0

10. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

11. Chai

Yeah, that's how the first generation SLI board works.

Huh? 24bit? What's that? THe only think I know about 7800 GTX being '24' is the pixel pipeline, which has got nothing to do with anything you mentioned. :p

12. aKho

sorry for the bit there, got carried away. so 24 pixel pipeline nothing to do with the PCi-E x16 slot ya? and to run at x16 speed will need new mobo's? mine only x8? :think:

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

u can run ur pcie at 4x mode and yet suffering no significant drops in performance.

Even if your board is not powered by an sli chipset, you can still configure an SLI setup by using the primary 16x slot and the next available pcie slot (4x or 2x, up to the board design) with one condition: install the old v70.90 driver. the performance you get under 16x/2x is nearly identical/a tad slower to the 8x/8x mode and in some cases, faster. the latter is a proof that even at 2x, the card hasn't actually saturated the available bandwidth and is in fact more than enough to configure an sli machine. it also tells us that we do not need 16x to run a single PCIe card. 2x-4x is more than sufficient. Of cuz the guys at NV are smart and wont allow you to do that.

8x/8x or 16x/16x is a specification the manufacturers used to brainwash us into believing that we need them in our gaming application (and charged us a premium price).

14. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

so x16 is an excessive bandwidth? :confused: .. and yet currently there are no application that benefit from this, is that what you mean? :think: ..

15. Chai

Yeah, even AGP 8x was good enough...

16. aKho

so the 7800GTX 24 pixel pipeline cards is too much for current mobo's to handle? i don't think there's any mobo's which support 24 yet? :confused:

ZuePhok so smart wan.. but in person look like guai kia...

17. Chai

Huh??? Like I said before, 24 pixel pipeline has got nothing to do with the motherboard!

PCI-Express 16x is just a bandwidth rating 4GB/sec. While PCI-Express 1x has 300MB/sec I think. AGP 8x has 2.1GB/sec.

My point is even cards like 7800 GTX will NOT choke the bandwidth of AGP 8x, let alone PCI-Express 16x...

18. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

emm.. now i understand that x16 pcie has so much bandwidth that even the latest games cannot choke it.. and aKho, the more pixel pipeline one card have the better the graphic card.. mine only have 4 pipeline :cry: .. now playing latest games at 800x600 with FSAA..
    so why dont they built an AGP 7800 GTX?.. i'm so curious.. AGP user are still quite a number.. :p

19. aKho

so mobo with PCi-E slot x16 means...? supports bandwidth up to 4GB/s? and the 24 pixel pipeline do wat le? processing speed for the graphic card? :doh:

20. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

24 pixel pipeline can process more pixel thus that is why high end graphic card can play game at higher resolution easily.. let say my card have 4 pipeline and GPU @ 500Mhz vs 24 pipeline and GPU @ 500Mhz, of course the latter can go for higher resolution without any problem because it can process more pixel although they have the same GPU speed.. so more pipeline is good.. bit also playing a role here.. 256bit is better than 128bit..