Hey all living in KL need help here...new PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by [H]ardwareNick, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'm in Melaka so I'm out too.

But since you are going to bring a hard disk to Australia, better get some foam too. Wrap your hard disk in foam and carry it as part of your hand luggage. Don't EVER put it in your main luggage. :)

2. thanks for trying to help....

foam for the hdd ? cant i just keep it in the antistatic and put it sandwiched among my clothes in the main luggage ? =)

Nick

3. Adrian Wong

Have you ever seen baggage handlers throwing the baggage from the plane? Maybe it's just India... but I wouldn't want to risk my data. I rather keep my hard disk where I can see it.

And if you are going to carry it in your hand luggage, you will still need to wrap foam around it. Chances are with the tight security, you are going to be parted from your bag quite a bit. Security may be rough with your stuff so it pays to play safe and put a little cushioning. :)

4. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Adrian is right again. My experience with so many flights in and out of the States has made me aware to NOT put any electronic goods in my suitcase. The baggage handlers are just plain crazy and careless. They will throw everything around without giving a $hit because time is more important to them.

Also, what are the regulations in terms of customs when going to Aussie? Over here, they check everything and as you to even take off your shoes before allowing you to board the plane. But that is a different story! What I am trying to get at is to try to find out if you will get taxed for any electronic goods that goes into the country and what are the value of electronic goods that you can carry in.

Be prepared to pay through your nostrils. :cry:

5. i dont remember any taxing or anything for bringing electronic items into australia...ive been there heaps o times and they never tax ..all u do at the airport is declare if you have foodstuffs and all that or whether your clean...if your clean...you go straight out...if not...you hafta show the customs officers what u got....so yeah...

the only reason im so seriously thinking about shipping the Radeon 9500PRO from US is that MALAYSIA HASNT GOT IT ....and its only like 10 more days till mummy goes to KL =) so...I NEED IT SO BAD...and to make thing even worse...the card which i prepared as a backup should i not get the Radeon 9500PRO....is the ALBATRON Ti4200 Pro (u know the o/c one which can o/c past a ti 4600)..well the shop selling it has just WIPED IT OFF THEIR PRICELIST and i was like OMG !!!!!!! =((((

*really sticky situation for the 3dcard*

a)ship from US and pay thru my nose...from what i counted it would be around RM 850 for that Radeon 9500PRO SHIPPED

b)never thought of this but...I NEED SOMEONES HELP IN KL !!!! im leaving for aus on the 19th of Jan...kl should have some stock of the Radeon 9500PRO...so i need some very generous soul to post it to me here in east malaysia....but should the card never arrive until then...im stuffed..

c)buy it in AUS when it comes out and watch RM 150 - 200 go out the window

=(((

*stuffed*
    Nick

6. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Well, the choice is entirely up to you now. The money is yours to do whatever you think is right.

But for RM150-200 more if you get it in Aussie, you will get the warranty that comes with it without hassle because you will be there! Where as if you get it in KL or US, you will have to send the card back if there is anything wrong with it (touch wood!).

If you ask me, I would definitely go ahead and grab the card in Australia and pay a little more for the sake of peace of mind. :lol:

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I second that as well. Why do you want to create more hassle by shipping from US? It's expensive, you can't get your warranty, it takes time. I would rather buy it in Australia. You will have more choices there.

To answer your question in your PM, I don't remember how heavy the package is. But I used USPS instead. A lot cheaper.

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

YUp... i *third* that too. Seriously, you sound like you're really rushing things up.

One thing i"ve learn from all my past purchases. When one rushes things up, he'll ussualy end up regretting.

As the wise man said... or sang... "Only fools rush in...."

I think it's better to buy the important parts over there in Aust... more peace of mind.

9. Adrian Wong

Hmm... It doesn't really matter if Malaysia has the Radeon 9500Pro or not. You are going to Australia, right? I'll bet they have the Radeon 9500Pro on sale over there. Maybe I should try to bring in some Australians to this post. See if they can confirm this.

In either case, you will have no problem getting the GeForce4 Ti 4200 in Australia. If you cannot get the Albatron (???), you can always get ABIT's Siluro GeForce4 Ti 4200 OTES.

I wouldn't recommend you buying from the States since you will most likely be able to get it easily in Australia. But if you want to buy from the States, delivery to Australia should be cheaper than to Malaysia. Check with FedEx. Or you can ask them to send by USPS which is cheaper... but of course, not as fast nor as safe.

In any case, you need NOT panic. You are NOT going to a desolate island. It's Australia, man! Hehe... You will get what you want. It's always just a question of money. :D

I know you really want someone to get you all you want from Low Yat Plaza and deliver it to your mother. However, you must consider several things :-

1. The kind soul will have to take the time and effort to do your shopping and deliver it to your mother. But we shall see if any of us is free to help you.

2. The kind soul would have to fork out his/her money for your goodies first. Ahh... Ready cash is definitely something we DON'T have. No rich kids over here! :)

3. You are essentially going to forsake your warranty. Is that worth the money you save? What if the card gets damaged in transit? I once broke a capacitor off my GeForce2 MX card during transit, even though I wrapped it with a piece of foam and kept it in a box!

4. Are you sure about the price in Australia? Could actually be cheaper there.

5. It's possible ATI will have the next-gen R350 and RV350 out by February. That's like two months after you land in Australia. Since you appear to be really hard-up for absolutely the best hardware money can buy, perhaps you might want to consider waiting?

Hmm... This is yet another long post from me. Heh... Let you read it first. Think about it.... I better go post some news. :)

10. nevermind about the helping i think i have got a friend here going there so i'll ask him to get for me....hrmmm...high end stuff ? i dont think so guys...im not rich...if i was however , Prometeia and P4 3.06ghz would be mine liaw =)

well yeah adrian and most of you are right...the extra $$$ is better spent on O/C'ing peace of mind (rma if spoiled)

as for the prices yes im very sure of how expensive they are....the RV350 oh man..that gunna cost a bomb..i would rather get the Geforce FX then =)

thankiu so much for all ur time and effort
    Nick

PS - The Albatron Ti 4200 Turbo is one of the best o/c ti cards out there...go look for a review on it...adrian..the Siluro o/c's well issit ?

11. nevermind about the helping i think i have got a friend here going there so i'll ask him to get for me....hrmmm...high end stuff ? i dont think so guys...im not rich...if i was however , Prometeia and P4 3.06ghz would be mine liaw =)

well yeah adrian and most of you are right...the extra $$$ is better spent on O/C'ing peace of mind (rma if spoiled)

as for the prices yes im very sure of how expensive they are....the RV350 oh man..that gunna cost a bomb..i would rather get the Geforce FX then =)

thankiu so much for all ur time and effort
    Nick

PS - The Albatron Ti 4200 Turbo is one of the best o/c ti cards out there...go look for a review on it...adrian..the Siluro o/c's well issit ?

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Albatron is one of the best O/C because it comes with faster memory modules. So it's no surprise that it overclockes better, and cost a lot more.

13. Punkychan

Punkychan Newbie

Hey Nick, understood that you are looking for somewhere downunder>>check this guy [email protected] and introduce yourself decently.Used to be my rookie but now a hardcore there.
    Punkychan

14. k thanks punky...what exactly can he help me with ?
    prices or parts or something ?

Nick

15. Punkychan

Punkychan Newbie

Whatever...PC I mean