Hi everyone! :)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Stephenishere, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Stephenishere

Stephenishere Newbie

Hi everyone, its been a long time since I've visited ARP forums. (shows last visit was 9th Apr 2006 at 11:22 PM) :)

So this isn't just a random reintroduction post, I have purely speculative question to ask. Do you think 22nm processors will be mainstream in 2012? Do you think the future of processors is to have a processor that can do GPU calculations on a few cores and CPU calculations on other cores, etc, will the CPU with tons of cores essentially replace the chips on motherboards? Will ram be eventually integrated into the processor?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Mainstream 22nm in 2012? Well, 2012 is pretty far off, and it depends on what you mean by mainstream. I should think that it is possible, given Intel's tick-tock strategy but depending on the market situation and maturity of 22 nm at that point in time, Intel may introduce 22 nm in 2011/2012 but it may only become "mainstream" in late 2012 or even early 2013.

Honestly, I don't think the CPU is designed to do graphics well. For graphics, you need many cores doing parallel tasks. CPUs with GPU capabilities will have a dedicated GPU core, instead of wasting the CPU core on graphics.

RAM in a processor die? Not a new thing really. It's all about the "cost". There will always be some processors or GPUs with integrated RAM but those will be few and far between.

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Well, from an engineering magazine I've read a few weeks ago, it seems that the Graphics Processing Units are parallel and have many hundred and thousands of streams working together to form graphics, and that offloads the CPU and its involvment.

Basically, a CPU + GPU integrated chip will be very ideal in embedded systems, usually like for those PDAs, handphones, small-equipments like MP3 players and anything portable.

RAMs and ROMs in processors are common thing, they are usually called microcontrollers. Microcontrollers are microprocessors which equipped with input/outputs and other peripherals such as UART, analog-to-digital, interface units (SPI, I2C) and others, all in one chip.

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Those cache in the processor are RAM laa.... shortest path memory to processor ..

5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

OOhh.. thanks for pointing that out. I forgot about that actually! :haha:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Last time I've heard about embedded RAM for graphics chip, but it's now way too complex to include them.

Now CPU has up to 12MB of cache on board.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, the caches can be considered as RAM... just a different kind of RAM (SRAM) from the DRAM used as system memory.