Hibernation

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Amerikiwi, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Amerikiwi

Amerikiwi Newbie

Hi.
    I'm not much of a computer guy but here goes. I have a new laptop with a P4, 2.4 ghz and 1024 RAM and running XP Pro SP1
    I understand a lot of people do not like using the Hibernation mode but I do and this problem is annoying.

My system will Hibernate fine but after about three times I get an error saying "not enough system resources exist to complete the API" The Hibernate tab dissapears in Power options and I have to re-boot and all is fine again until 3 times and so on.

When I view the event viewer under system where the problem is it reads this:
    AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70) which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability.

Then I follow the link and it reads:

Event Details
    Event ID: 4
    Source: ACPI
    Symbolic Name: ACPI_ERR_AMLI_ILLEGAL_IO_READ_FATAL
    Message: %2: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (%3), which lies in the %4 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Explanation
    The system BIOS attempted to incorrectly access hardware resources concurrently with the operating system. This type of access cannot be synchronized and can cause system instability.

User Action
    Contact the system vendor for an updated BIOS and follow the vendor's instructions for installation.

And this one also:

Event Details
    Event ID: 5
    Source: ACPI
    Symbolic Name: ACPI_ERR_AMLI_ILLEGAL_IO_WRITE_FATAL
    Message: %2: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (%3), which lies in the %4 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Explanation
    The system BIOS attempted to incorrectly access hardware resources concurrently with the operating system. This type of access cannot be synchronized and can cause system instability.

User Action
    Contact the system vendor for an updated BIOS and follow the vendor's instructions for installation.

So I contacted the OEM to see if there is an Updated BIOS any they told me to reinstall everything and try again as they have never had this problem before and.........if that does not work send it back. I do not want to do this as it has taken many hours to set everything up the way I want it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my computer info.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name
    System Manufacturer INSYDE
    System Model Intel 845MP
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2392 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date SystemSoft Version 1.00, 10/22/1997
    SMBIOS Version 2.2
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106
    User Name
    Time Zone
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 654.05 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 1.90 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.31 GB
    Page File Space 925.44 MB
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Everything seems to point to System CMOS / RTC

This link might have the answer but I'm not sure
    http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/tech/onnow/BIOSAML.asp

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Russell

2. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

I have never owned a laptop before but here are some suggestions.

Are you comfortable with re-flashing your BIOS? If so, maybe you can get a copy of your BIOS from the manufacturer's website or ask the technical support to send you a copy.

Try the re-flash first but if it does not work, then maybe you should reinstall WinXP. It could be your only option.

What about NOT using Hibernation? You can go like, blank screen after X seconds or just completely shutdown! Sorry for the suggestions if you still want to use Hibernation.

Again, these are just suggestions. It may not work, but then again, it might! 8) Good luck.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is one hell of a notebook! It's even more powerful than my desktop! (I always feel sad when a notebook is more powerful than mine :lol: )

Since you have 1GB of RAM, you will need 1GB of HDD space for the hibernation mode. So make sure you have enough space. And you should specify a smaller virtual memory size, and set the min and max the same, like min 150MB and max 150MB.

4. Amerikiwi

Amerikiwi Newbie

Thanks PY222 and Chai for your response.

I will try everything I can before I flash the BIOS.

5. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Do come back and post the outcome of your experiements ok.

Take care and good luck :lol:

6. Amerikiwi

Amerikiwi Newbie

Well I flashed the Bios and that did not work.
    So last Sunday I reformatted and did a fresh install and loaded everything in order by the instuctions given by the manufacturer.

Still having the same problem. I even tested it before installing programs and still the same.

7. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

If you have done all that and still there is this problem, then it must be something wrong with the hardware.

I suggest that you RMA the laptop and get a new one.

8. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Currently is it using a different brand of RAM in the notebook still an issue?

9. ash

ash Newbie

most prob a RAM failure ... send the whole laptop back ..

i never tried hibernation with 1gig but it shouldnt be any prob..

ive had problems sometimes when i restore from my athlonXP compaq laptop with 256mb .. but it wasnt frequent and most probably a conflict with some system resources.

Maybe a manufacturing problem?

10. yamdran

yamdran Newbie

Try to check if ACPI is enabled in your BIOS/CMOS settings... also, try to look at your setting which relate to the use of ACPI... Goodluck!

11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

bios :p

well .... i had some problems with windows xp on my system before ... the whole system boots randomly ......

here's what i did ... :

reflash bios with the latest bios available........
    set CONCURRENT PCI/HOST to DISABLED in the bios under CHIPSET FEATURES
    (mine is award bios)

my ACPI is not 100% compatible with XP

ps. : i dont have a laptop