Higher latency ram or high "hertz" ram.

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Mayhem, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Mayhem

Mayhem Newbie

I been thinking about this for quite sometime,
    let's say u got 1 ram running at pc133. cl2
    and another 1 runnint at pc150 cl3

which 1 should be faster?

2. wildfrogman1

wildfrogman1 Newbie

Hmm, cas2 pc133 ram most of the time overclocks to pc150 cas3. On memory testing a very agressive bios settings on the pc133 would be faster than pc150 at really slowed down timings. But, if you are having to up the fsb to overclock the cpu you may come out even or a bit faster with the higher fsb with the lower timings if your extra cpu speed evens things out.

3. Mayhem

Mayhem Newbie

i do realize that bcoz i got 1 stick of ram PC133CL2 another stick of PC150CL3 ram. i set the ram running at PC133CL2 and the PC150CL3 seems to able to take the punishment at CL2 rating. but here i wanted to know which will be the best for a system running at 2 different setting stated. as i cant really know the full potential due to limitation to my board to run at the ram at PC150.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The best way to determine which is faster, benchmark :)

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

actually, I've tried this :D hehe

133 at Cl2 is much faster and has more stable timings

Even with 166 @ cl3, only either reading OR writing appears to be fast and not both at the same time. I tested this using SisSandra.

For SDRAM, the CAS latency plays a major role in the RAM timings....

6. Mayhem

Mayhem Newbie

i see. higher latency is advisable!

7. peaz

urm.. actually, lower latency is better... Hehe.... :D but this only applies for SDRAMs.

For DDR-RAMS the difference between 2 and 2.5 Cas latency is not very huge... so a high Freq DDR-RAM would be better....

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    Ermm..did u actually understand what peaz was trying to tell u??

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello ZuePhOk,

What Peaz meant was for SDR SDRAM, a lower latency will provide a bigger performance boost than a higher clockspeed.

The opposite is true for DDR SDRAM. Because of the smaller difference between the CAS latencies (2 and 2.5) as well as the similarity of the other timings, increasing the clockspeed will improve performance more than just dropping the CAS latency by 0.5 clock cycles.

10. peaz

hehe.. actually i think ZuePhOk was referencing to Mayhem's confusing term of 'higher latency' is better which I'm pretty sure he meant lower latency (Higher performance with lower latency)

lol...

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ooooh... Hehe... :D

12. calvinator

calvinator Newbie

er..how to increase sdram clockspeed? increase the fsb izit...

13. peaz

Yup increase FSB that is... RAM timings depends in the FSB multiplied by the RAM/FSB divider...

Check your mobo manual... you should see some settings there.

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Increase FSB was the only way. You have to worry about PCI and AGP bus speed when you increase the FSB.

If you are using AMD, don't bother playing with the RAM ratio settings. It won't improve your system performance.