Hmm, something smells like it's burning

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Viper007Bond, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

lol, my sister woke me up a few nights ago after I had gone to bed to tell me that her computer had froze and that she smelled something burning. So, I ran downstairs and by the time I got there, the PC was off.

"Uh oh" I thought. This is not good...

And indeed it wasn't. :doh:

Here's a picture of what I found:

[​IMG]

Yep, a big hole in the Intel ICH5R(?) chip on her Asus P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard.

I haven't discovered if anything else fried with it, but her HD is good as I booted my dad's PC off it so that she could do some homework off her HD.

And yes, it's covered under warranty (thak goodness, it'd cost $110 to replace). Waiting on my RMA request to be approved now. :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

My goodness. Can the computer start again? How long has she been using the PC?

3. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

I haven't tried, but just by looking at it, I'm pretty sure it's not gonna start up.

And the motherboard & PC is ~18 months old. She built it at the same time as me. Funny thing is that her's isn't on all the much and mine is never turned off. lol

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't want to start that PC ever again...

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Wow... I've never seen a Southbridge that fried before....:shock: :faint:

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Wow. that surely is a freak accident! :D Must be a power surge or something.

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'd expect the caps to go off first then the southbridge...:o

8. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

She has the same PSU as me -- an Antec TruePower 550W, so it's not like it's a cheap PSU or anything. :nuts:

9. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

darn. that's very weird then... :nuts:

10. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

If it's not too old, I would say something got crossed...

11. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Yeah, I was actually messing around in the case about 12 hours before, but I doubt that woulda done it as it had been on the whole time since (with no problems) and I didn't change anything. Was just making sure the front USB was hooked up.

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Woah.. How did that south bridge chip fry??? :shock:

I don't think it was a lightning or any power surge.. Otherwise, other parts would fry as well.

13. werty316

werty316 Newbie

yeah that is very weird south bridge chip is the last thing that will fry/die out.