Homemade Water Cooling System

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by rudhrasamy, May 27, 2006.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Nice work :thumb: Although the radiator might no be efficient, like what psykhotik said.

2. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

then it will be super troublesome to make yea?

3. rudhrasamy

rudhrasamy Newbie

yeah... he have to drill small holes to the plates and fix more pipes...... i dunno how he will be fixing the elbow if using smaller pipes:confused: :confused:

4. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i dunno lah..
    i just think he wasting too much time & effort to make that thing...

5. rudhrasamy

rudhrasamy Newbie

da guy just finished his project... just waiting for the results....

you guys do check on the other project in that forum... yesterday i saw 1 project of Casing from wood... damn da project was realy cool....

6. Ivangrozny

Ivangrozny Newbie

I like this project, if I had enough time I'd do one myself. It's alot more fun to make something yourself even if its a complete failure, then to go buy something. Expecially if you don't actually need whatever it is your making, and instead just want to have fun with it.

7. rudhrasamy

rudhrasamy Newbie

Im also like to do this kind of stuff... So I have planned a Water Cooling project for my HDD's. Currently have 4 drives.... my 80GB crashed just recently..... So just thaught of cooling down all my HDD. I believe that hdd reaching 45C is in very extreme danger condition and this can cause the magnetic head and the magnet for the motors will loose its electromagnetic enerdy........ I dun need to water cool my processor as im not a OC pro..... Maybe in future time........ :think: :think:

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'd WC the CPU instead of your hard drives. A seagate rep once told me some airflow over the hard drives (7200rpm ones) is sufficient.

SCSI drives on the other hand do need a bit more care on cooling.

EDIT: Typo...

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Even the Raptor is much cooler than other 7200rpm I've used before.

10. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yeah I think watercooling the hard drives is very excessive too. If they're heating up that badly then maybe you just need a case with better ventilation?

11. rudhrasamy

rudhrasamy Newbie

Its just that im a extreme BT downloader.... so my hdd is working 24/7 and the temp. can reach up to 40C. Anyway i have already ordered the block for my CPU.... so right now doing some sketching of the WC.

12. Chai

So am I. I have 2 HDD, a 400GB 7200rpm and a 72GB 10krpm. I managed to keep both under 40C with a 12V fan running at just 5V.

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

watercool ur hds? that's overkill!

14. rudhrasamy

rudhrasamy Newbie

so u guys telling me that WC HDD is not a good idea

15. Chai

HDDs don't even need heatsink fan cooling, why does it need water cooling is beyond my imagination.

16. rudhrasamy

rudhrasamy Newbie

:think: :think: :think: you are right oso...... i was thinking of that coz the server in my company needs air conditioning room to operate 24/7........ from there ony i thaught of this idea....... anyway.... im wanna WC my CPU 1st then do for HDD:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

17. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i have 2 WD 7200rpm hard disk running ... both are about 1.2inches apart.. cooled by a 12cm fan .. thats all .. i need to mod my front bevel case.. its obstructing airflow :haha:

18. ginnz

ginnz Newbie

hi guys....

i am an avid watercooler, been using water blocks for over 10+ years now..... been doing it when it was basically all handmade, and we used 110v pond pumps,watercooling 300 mghz k6 2's and VooDoo cards!

anyways, i totally applaud this dude! sure the blocks are pretty crude, and i'd agree the thermal dynamics of the rad are off, it sure is a damn good first time build! i really like how he did the whole works! especially the PSU !!

anyways, to all the guys bashing his attempt, thats just rude.... and to the guys who see and appreciate what some (oversea's) guys will do, i agree..... this dude did what he could with what he had, and wasnt typical American lazy (like some other guy said) "mom, buy me a new block and rad!!!" type kid.....

i can imagine, what this guy would be capable of building after a couple more builds, gaining more experience.... he'll prolly be doing Phase Change in a couple months!

anyways, pretty damn creative!:thumb:

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

You just revived a 4 year old thread :lol:

20. ginnz

ginnz Newbie

yeah, i know, but the content is still there, i mean, its a good example of what a determined individual is capable of!

ginnz!