How can I increase my partition space?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Elaine465, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Elaine465

Elaine465 Newbie

Not too long ago, I had deleted one of my partitions, since it was nearly empty for over 6 months. I just wondered to delete this partition and added the free space to my rest partitions, especially my C partition which had only 21% free space left. But, since I didn’t know the exact ways to expand it, I just let it like that. But, yesterday, I got a low disk space problem and need to extend my C partition quickly. So, I come here and want to find the ways. Do you have any idea for me? The detailed steps will be greatly appreciated!

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Elaine, you have to go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

In Disk Management, you will see your hard disk drive(s) with available partitions and free space.

If you just want to create a new partition (and format it) using the free space you have from deleting the old partition, just right click on the free space and select Add Volume.

If you want to extend your C partition, just right click on it and select Extend Volume...

3. Florenc67

Florenc67 Newbie

All right! There are two solutions for you:

1). Expand this partition in Disk Management. Right click your C partition in Disk Management to highlight “Extend Volume” and follow the guidance to finish the extending process.

2). Expand your C partition space with professional partition resizing tools. There are many similar tools. Just select an efficient one online, like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free, EaseUS Partition Master, etc.

Never forget to save all crucial data on different drives in advance.

4. Dylan56

Dylan56 Newbie

Have you resolved your problem?

As I know, the low disk space problem often can be easily resolved by adding enough free space there.

I know a video tutorial that teaches about how to add enough free space to a selected partition:
    youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk

You can take chances with it at first.
    Note: Make data backups all the time in case of data loss.