How does USB Modem works?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by SkylineRemix, Jul 5, 2008.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I've been spending quite some time figuring out how does USB Modem actually works.

In Malaysia, we have TM Streamyx as one of our main provider for Internet access. Recently, there're competitors such as Maxis broadband, Celcom broadband, Izzi and the newer one call U Mobile.

I'm doing a research actually on which is the best internet provider in malaysia as i'm using Streamyx at the moment in my house and it sucks. Can someone explain to me please?? Thanks

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Duplicate thread I left this one Bro :)

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

what kind of USB modem ? :think: DSL ?

most likely it like network card but through USB modem. :think:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure if there's any router with USB modem support, but one of the biggest limitation of USB modems is they are not able to plug into router and share internet access. That alone is enough to keep me off.

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yeapz, i rather stay on the ethernet port. like chai said, you can plug into a router and share it. its pain in the ass to share through a pc.

7. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Btw, no point using other wireless broadband =/..technically we can't do much with it..It all depends on coverage and as usual, i hear we get signal drop when it rains :mad: ooh yeah, do you guys even know that Izzi is under streamyx too ;)

8. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

wow... Sorry mac... I haven't been reading this forum for quite some time... Hehe... Been quite busy actually.

So as for the rest of you guys, izit still wise to go back to streamyx? Well basically i'm not sure if USB modem can meet up the requirement of live feed from CCTV.

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Thats np Bro looks like the thread just posted twice it happens. On the USB modem I have no experience with them but from the feedback from other members it doesn't sound like a good option does it :think:

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, previously i was using a USB phone to use the internet...Trust me..everything depends on the provider + you don't wanna have access to the net for only 3 hours + :haha:

11. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I had Umobile in mind actually. Any Umobile user here?

12. sherwin

sherwin Newbie

13. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well, check their term and condition properly =/ before u register for it..

14. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

what about maxis broadband? The one that require a maxis fixed line and modem provided, is that one recommendable?

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Like it or not, Streamyx is still the best option. Maxis has bandwidth cap.

16. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

okay. Noted

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

As far as I can tell... Streamyx, as bad as it is, is still the best option. The other solutions either have limited bandwidth or bandwidth caps.

As for the USB modems, I try to avoid them as they require a PC to work. Most are actually soft-modems that use your CPU instead of a dedicated signal processor. So you also won't want to use them on slower PCs.