How to choose a suitable soundcard for music and gaming?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nearownkira, Sep 25, 2007.

1. nearownkira

nearownkira Newbie

what specification do u look before u buy a suitable sound card?I want to do a small request here, can someone write a small guide about sound card?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ahhh.. We have a sound card buying guide coming up soon. Hang in there! :beer:

It's part of our PC Buying Guide. You can take a look at it while you wait. :mrgreen:

3. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

auzuntech prelude :thumb:

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Whatever it is, make sure it works with vista (as in actually having hardware acceleration).

Choices are limited to XFis and their derivatives (Auzentechs)

5. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I thought we have reached the threshold in terms of soundcard on pc? Seriously can it get any better than XFis.

I've been using Live Value for years :faint: :faint: :faint:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I honestly don't think there's a suitable card for both gaming and music. Most hardcore users have 2 sound cards in their system.

But if gaming is what you want, you really don't have much choices. XFi.

7. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

That reminds me, i shalls moves up to a LynxTWO when i get the cash instead of spending it something useful :p

8. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

Then again, suitable or not - depends on the user preference.

Some people just enjoy listening, they don't care much about the bass, treble, clarity, noise. Other on the other hand could be damn picky.

And let's not forget the speaker part too. Regardless how good a soundcard we recommend, a lousy speaker is enough to render the card useless, sound output would be no better than onboard audio systems.

And speaking of onboard audio systems, they're quite good - again depending on your taste.

I have an XFi with me right now, just haven't try it. Man, it's been more than 7 days since it came. :nuts:

9. jomuj

jomuj Official BOG Supporter!

That's true, I sometimes think that it's all in peoples head, at least some of it. Most people aren't going to sit there and try and find imperfections in their audio.

And as you say goldfries, the sound you get is really dictated by your speakers. I have a pair of sennheiser 600's and plugged into my x-fi I think they sound great, though a bit more bass would be nice, but I don't think the card has enough oomph to drive them properly :p. In the end, if you think it sounds good, then it's fine! :D

Also, let's not forget that the quality of your recording has allot to do with it, and how many computer users actually have their audio in lossless audio right? ;)

10. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Aiiee, HD600 plugged directly into an X-Fi *cringe*

:p

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I have my cans on my front panel. :p

All my CDs have been turned into FLAC. :p In fact, when I buy a CD, it gets ripped into FLAC (a copy on my PC, copy on my Trekstor Vibez - EAC FTW!) and then the CD goes to my car. :p

I personally think that the XFi is a good balance between a great gaming card as well as audio (plus it actually somewhat works on Vista).

Next up for me is a Receiver and some speakers with some 'real' fidelity (*cough* Paradigm *cough*) but given my picky taste, that will stay on the back burner for a while (have other spending/saving priorities for next year :wicked: ).

12. jomuj

My 600's sound horrible out of the front panel :p I think it has less output than the rear.

I'm not alone out there! lol.

Well it's not as good as it could be, but if you max out the bass boost it's not to bad. I bought mine second hand off ebay, so I don't want double the cost by buying an amp. xD I have a little pocket amp for my iPod though :D.

I'm happy with the sound, besides I would say a computer case would be an audiophiles worst nightmare, all that interference. :p

13. nearownkira

nearownkira Newbie

I want to ask is the Crystalliser technology is any good for normal mp3.Is the X-Fi is overrated?

which Chip is the best EnVY or C-Media for sound card?

14. jomuj

I'm not exactly an expert, but I could say that you are not going to notice a huge difference whichever chip you choose. You have to remember when you read forums and reviews, that allot of the time people are just being picky, you have to read between the lines of fanboy talk. :p

The crystalliser depends on your taste really, it can make audio sound a bit warmer(note minor fanboy talk :p). But I think the main difference is noted in older or low quality recordings, it just boosts everything a bit. It can help with that slightly tinny sound mp3's can have. The best route to better sound is the type of compression used, if you have the space on your HDD, use FLAC, and if you need to compress them, try mp4, it sounds remarkably better. :D

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

See, thats why I went with the Audio Technica A900 (that and also because its super comfy - barely feel it on). Don't need an awful lot of juice to drive it properly. :mrgreen: My Trekstor Vibez powers it pretty decently even without a headphone amp (mmm FLAC on the go... :p )

Nothing wrong with good music coming out of a PC. :p It's not like I get any buzzing or hissing.

@nearownkira

No the XFi's are not overrated. And plus as it is on Vista, its one of the only ways to get hardware acceleration (no surround, no EAX, yadaa yadaa yadaa). If not, then its on board HD audio is the only way to go (software solution - paired with a chipset).

16. Spot

Spot Newbie

I think Auzentech Prelude marries the best of both worlds, while its predecessor X-Meridian is a proven product for audio, adopting the X-fi gives it a new market into gaming, given X-fi's following of gamers who're in to EAX 3/4/5, which is exclusive to Creative unless licensed.