how to convert to ntfs

Discussion in 'General Software' started by luqman, Jan 3, 2006.

1. luqman

luqman Newbie

ok i have an xp running file aloction system how do i change it to NTFS. i used to have an 98SE but i upgraded it to xp pro. and now am wondering how to change the file system to NT? :?:

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

run:

convert /FS:NTFS

3. McTavish

McTavish Newbie

Open the command prompt in XP and type convert c: /fs:ntfs that’s assuming your XP sees itself as C: if not change it to the appropriate drive letter.
    You will get a message telling you basically it can’t do the conversion with Windows running and would you like to do it on next reboot.

4. luqman

luqman Newbie

no off

no offense macravish but zy has an easier method :mrgreen:

5. luqman

luqman Newbie

damn

it needs the volume lable damn!!!! i don't have it!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. McTavish

McTavish Newbie

You’ll see what your Volume Label is under the icon for the drive in My Computer.
    Typically is will say Local Disk (C:) and this actually means that no volume label was assigned. If you have renamed it to, for example – XPpro (C:) – then the volume label is ‘XPpro’.

If no volume label has been assigned then just press Enter when you get asked for it.

1 person likes this.
  7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

just do a DIR C: and you'll get the volume label
    If you don't have any and want to set one, then set one using "label <name>" on the command line.

8. luqman

luqman Newbie

thank u thank u thank u!!!!! :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: it will take place next time the system restarts!!!!

9. castaneda

castaneda Newbie

I use SystemCommander 7 - it's like the manager which allows to have several OS's on your PC... it can perform lots of operations with partitions... Looks like Windows (i mean interface) :cool:

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i suggest a clean reformat.

there are a few limitation if you convert from FAT32

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Wow... digging again. :faint: