How to get the Windows 7 Beta

Discussion in 'General Software' started by g0tanks, Jan 11, 2009.

1. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Man! I was about to ask the same thing too!

Well, they said there's a huge traffic jam inside it when it was released. 2.5mil keys are provided for the first 2.5mil beta testers.

Also, to obtain the W7 beta, one must sign in and download from IE first. I can't get it to redirect in Firefox! :shifty:

edit: Okay, got it! I received the key for the W7 Beta 32-bit only. I love to try 64-bit but I don't have the amount of RAM right now to do so. :)

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I actually downloaded it through firefox (used it all the way)... o_0

5. The_YongGrand

:haha: Don't know why I can't make it to start thru Firefox, but I could get it working thru IE. Strange!

I'm now downloading the 32-bit one from the Microsoft.

So anyone tried that before? Is it good? I want to see less slowdowns and more simplified interface. Never mind the aeroglass, but I need the more backwards compatibility and in the same time, more support for future programs! :thumb:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I think backwards compatibility is pretty much dead. It does run a lot leaner and better though. I love the new taskbar (much more efficient use of space).

Live messenger is a seperate download (I think it is live essentials - its on Microsoft's Windows 7 page - the download link that is).

Biggest improvement that I see so far is UAC (much more customizable - as it has different tiers).

Also the windows itself is real nice. If you drag a window out of the desktop, it will resize back into the desktop. Possibly something to do with the touch features I guess... :think:

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Anyone tried it yet?

I guess this is what Vista should have been.

A lot of experimental features on Vista that was improved.

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I have it installed on my spare Raptor drive.

Aero is now a LOT more functional (not just purdy purdy). :mrgreen:

9. The_YongGrand

Cool. If it could run well without trashing the HDD I guess it'll do well in my other lower-end systems. Currently I'm planning to test it on my another PC with E2140.

However, could it run earlier versions of Office? :)

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I guess it's safe to say if it wont install on Vista, don't expect it to work on 7 (16bit installers).

11. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Firefox worked fine for me, might be because I downloaded with the direct link though.

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yup. Had the Beta since last month. :thumb:

So far, I like it, even the Aero is nicer. Not much time to explore around yet. The good thing is with the drivers installation, now it will automatically download from Windows Update, before checking in driver store and OEM driver folder without prompting user for action. :thumb:

One more thing... devices and printers. :thumb:

13. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

:sick: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Let's see:
    Windows 1.0
    Windows 2.0
    Windows 3.0
    Windows 3.1
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows ME (NT is born)
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7 ..... What type of math is this? :mrgreen:

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Actually NT 4.0 is the first NT based OS.

I think the 7 comes from the NT 7.0 but I don't see how different Windows 7 is compared to Vista to justify a a new version number.

16. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

i think i should just stick with vista. you wouldnt know when Window 8 is coming next early two year if M$ said they make mistake in 7 again.

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It's just a beta. A test drive. Not a 24/7 OS replacement. Plus I don't think it will be out till next year (Beta goes straight through later this year and then it will expire - and probably the RCs will roll out and then the RTM and retail releases).

It is an interim upgrade at best but already it runs a lot nicer/leaner. The new interfaces are nice. DX11 will come to Vista too though (if that rocks anyone's boats).

18. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, word on the street is that Windows 7 will be out by the end of this year. They are already planning for a Tech Guarantee Program in July - Tech ARP - The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program

If I'm not mistaken, such programs are always initiated no more than 6 months (or so) from the actual launch date. So, I'm personally looking at a late 2009 launch, instead of a 2010 launch.

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

In Windows Vista's defence, it really isn't as bad as what many people are saying. They just have to try upgrading to SP1 first before complaining. Heh... I'm using Vista 64-bit in both my notebook and the Tech ARP testbed and it works great. :thumb:

Well, I don't think Microsoft has anything on the map for a Windows 7 replacement quite so soon.

20. The_YongGrand

Hey guys,

I read that the W7 beta will frizzles every each of the MP3 files inside the HDD when you installed it. There's the issue and hotfix about this one.

Or it only happened when I turn on the WMP and nothing will happen? :think: :haha: