How to get Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit to always show the same HDD letters

Discussion in 'General Software' started by MSwhip, Sep 15, 2011.

1. MSwhip

MSwhip Newbie

I have an issue with HDD letters being changed by the operating system. It is highly bothersome that I cant keep each volume letter unchanged so I can identify each one of my 6 hard drives + the Usb drives.
    I always keep 2 HDD inside the PC tower plus another 4 inside an external enclosure. Additionally I have an external Sabrent USB-DSC5 Hard Drive adapter with one HDD or Optical drive connected to it and the PC.

Is it possible from Windows 7 to set it in such a way that the drives lettering e.g. C E F G H J K** etc etc remain linked to each individual HDD?

If Windows does not offer that capability how do I solve this need? Is there any known software I could install that deals with this issue and solves it efficiently?

All help would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Why does it change? Is it because you unplug and plug it in all the time??

Run "diskmgmt.msc".
    Then you can change your drive letters from there.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, run the Disk Management Console and you can assign each device its own drive letter. Once you do that, Windows will remember your choice.

However, if you disconnect some of your other devices and add a new device, Windows will automatically assign it the first available drive letter, even if it has already been assigned to another (disconnected) device. All you have to do is run Disk Management again and assign a different drive letter for the new device. You will only need to do it once.