how to redirect a USB device

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Mely, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Mely

Mely Newbie

I have a PC at work with software that I need to run. This software requires a USB Licensing Dongle. I have it and I take the Dongle home and plugged into my PC, start a RDP session with my work PC and need it to see the USB dongle at my house to use.

The problem is I don't want my license key to be plugged in all the time. The application contains confidential information so I plug the dongle when I work with this data. Currently I work at home and I need to redirect my license key to the remote desktop and I just don't know how

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I don't see how that would be possible.

When you remote into your work PC, you are actually running the software off the work PC. Therefore, the software would need to read the license key off the dongle, which would naturally have to be attached to the work PC.

You may be accessing the software from home, but the software doesn't know that. As far as it's concerned, you are running it on the work PC. Therefore, I don't see a way to get the software to read the license key off the dongle on your home PC through a RDP connection. :(

3. robby

robby Newbie

Hi Mely!
    I hope this information will be useful.

Some time ago I wanted to redirect my USB device so I googled for something like fabulatech USB for remote desktop. It has 15 days of trial so it was more then enough for me. Try to read their forum first!