How to set up password for Wireless?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by SkylineRemix, Dec 8, 2006.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Hi there,
    I would like to ask if anyone knows how to set up password for wireless connection?
    There's WEP and WPA for available in the Wireless Setting... What is the differents between both of them?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

WPA is a more secure form of wireless encryption. WEP is the more common, but weaker wireless encryption.

You need to select either one, before you can set the password.

3. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

So is there any steps to set up WPA?
    I'm not really sure how to deal with it..

4. Adrian Wong

Well, enable it first by ticking the checkbox next to WPA in the screen above.

Thereafter, you should be show additional options. You will need to screenshot those, of course. :D

5. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

screenshot uploaded

6. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I don't have much experience with WPA, but I would select PSK string and put in a password of my choice, preferably a complex mix of numbers and letters like f02n4k

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Nowadays, people choose WPA, because you don't have to remmember the long keys of WEP. But not all devices suppport WEP, especially those first generation wireless device and those 802.11b ones.

If you need additional security, you can opt for Mac Filtering where your modem only allows WLAN cards which have the specific MAC address to access the network.

8. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Well to add even more security don't broadcast the ssid as well