HP Not Reading ANY CD-Rom Drives

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Krylon, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Krylon

Krylon Newbie

Okay, so my wife was given a HP from Intel when we used to work there. It's not to old, I think it came out in like 1980.. LOL JK. but for real though, the machine has stopped seeing any CDRom. I thought it may have been the OEM Drive, so I swapped it and the IDE cable out with my DVD-RW drive. No Go. So I thought it may have been the controller so I hooked up a External USB CD-RW Drive, No go.

Nothing comes up when running Add/Remove Hardware, Nothing shows up in DM, and nothing shows up in My Computer.

Any Ideas? I'd like to make this a Web Server But would need to get the drive to work 1st.

2. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

did you check your Bios to see if that drive was detected?

3. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Try the CD-ROM drives in another computer to see if the problem isn't the drives themselves.

Check to make sure they aren't disabled in the BIOS.

4. Krylon

Krylon Newbie

The BIOS does not see the drives, however the drives work in my other PC, but that wouldn't explain why the external USB drive isn't recognized within Windows.. It sees my External USB HDD, so I know it's not the USB ports.

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

specs of the old computer please?

6. m0dD3r

m0dD3r Newbie

Hmm, I might start considering a new BIOS to be flashed, or maybe a new OS. Also, an OS reinstall couldn't hurt.

7. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Whoa, that really beats me. A reinstallation of Windows might be in order, or maybe it's just your motherboard that's incompatible somehow.

8. Krylon

Krylon Newbie

hmm...well...it would have to be the MB...since there isn't a way to put a new OS on it because it wont read the CDRom to install the OS.

9. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

Krylon, did you follow zy's post? He's asking what kind of HP computer are you using. List the model number (ex. HP Pavilion 7840) here so that we can help you further. Also what OS do you have installed, meaning what version of Windows are you using?