HTT

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by luqman, Dec 20, 2005.

1. luqman

luqman Newbie

ok does anybody have a clue what hyper threading is it comes with the Pentium Extreme Edition and the Pentium IV HTT. some one tell me what it is and am good to go.

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Oh if I'm not mistaken this Hyper-Threading technology enable the system to process multiple threads at the same time, makes the system to run much more faster and more efficently, provided that the software supports the technology.

http://www.intel.com/business/bss/products/hyperthreading/overview.htm

For more info, go and see the link I've provided. That'll explain it all. :haha:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

4. Womb-Raider

Womb-Raider Newbie

Yeah Basicaly it works like a second virtual cpu but you need a motherboard that supports it and OS, if your running windows xp then theres no problem....

:D

5. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

when i see the words HTT the first think i would think of is HyperTransport Technology (on AMD).

Hyper-Threading Technology is usually abbreviated as HT, this is seen even on Intel's Pentium stickers and ads.

6. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

yeah, i thought of AMD rather than Intel too.. :thumb:

7. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

that cause its better!!!!

from what i heard, there is a significant performance increase with a cpu with HT than a cpu without HT, but then again i never owned a intel so i can't say for shure....

:mrgreen:

8. luqman

luqman Newbie

I own an intel it is more powerful than an AMD i have the extreme edtion now:mrgreen: i now know what it means a dual core computer can accomplish more tasks than 1 cpu! so what ht or htt is doing the same thing except on one pc it doesn't go as fast as a dual core but can accomplish as much tasks:thumb:

9. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

HT and HTT is not the same..:naughty: HTT is more like the FSB.. since AMD 64 has integrated northbridge, it FSB has been change to HTT.. check this link..
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^9492,00.html

10. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Erm, no, the northbride is not intergrated, only the memory controller, and it doesn't use the HTT for one because memory doesn't work with HTT's signalling methods. But they do share the same PLL clock generator though.

Anyways, on to the HT (Hyper Threading). Hyper Threading is called SMT or a Symmetric Multi Threading, meaning it's able to process two or more threads at same time, given that the program is not in contention with another. In plain english?

Imagine 2 units in a processor, the ALU and FPU. Program A is an ALU resource hog and it takes up 1 thread. With a single threaded processor, program A is run without room for any other programs, so essentially when program A uses the ALU, the FPU sits there and does nothing really.

Hyperthreading solves that by allowing simultaneous use of all available resources. So if program A is chomping down on ALU resources and a program B is waiting instead to use FPU resources, HT allows for them both to run at the same time, saving time and making maximum use of all available fuction units.

Cheers