I need advice on a new build motherboard.

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Grubbworm, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Grubbworm

Grubbworm Newbie

I am researching motherboards for a new build. I am considering an AMD cpu, possibly a 64x2 5000 or 5400 Black Edition. With an eye toward the future and an upgrade to x4. This computer will be used for a variety of things; i.e., web surfing, some gaming, media/graphics, and some software beta testing among other things. I would like to run Vista Ultimate 64 on this machine, or maybe I should say multiple operating systems. I am also trying to work within a minimalist budget, and would like to keep the price around $100 or so. My purchase time line would be around Christmas 2008. I would entertain any and all suggestions. also, if links to reviews were included that would be nice. Thanks in advance for any and all help. I am considering a DFI LanParty Jr 7902GX M2RS. Comments and opinions are welcomed.

2. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

If you aren't going to play recent games, I suggest you pick up a motherboard with a 780G chipset, such as the ASUS ASUS M3A78-EM: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.. It comes with an integrated video card that is quite capable.

3. Grubbworm

Grubbworm Newbie

I am currently considering a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, which should work just fine for me, until I can afford to get a decent video card.

4. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

5. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

ECS boards over here tend to die faster than the rest...imo...

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

How do you know they tend to die faster :p

8. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

yeah concidering i have an ECS KA3 MVP myself and both my grandma and aunt have the one i linked you to and none have given a hickup...

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

err since i do go to hardware shops and ecs boards tend to get rma a lot (maybe its only at malaysia?)

10. c1arity

c1arity Newbie

My experience with ECS boards has been hit or miss. Back in the day of my Celeron 700mhz I owned a board made by a subsidary of ECS (can't remember the name of it now) and it worked for years without problems. However, I replaced hundreds of them in a computer tech. job I had a couple years back (lots of blown capacitors).

The two things I never go cheap on is my motherboard and PSU. If you're going to get a lower priced board, at least make sure it's got solid Japanese capacitors. It'll pay off in the long run.

11. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

ECS and PCChips are usually in the bottom-tier. Either they have made not-so-good and below-average quality motherboards. The worst motherboard I ever had was the PCChips M598, with the fake cache inside and extremely horrible performance and stability.

But strange, HP has used ECS motherboards in their cheap desktop systems. I do not know why. Previously, their line of HP computers are usually equipped with Asus/MSI iimnm. :shifty:

I usually prefer Asus, Gigabyte and MSI when I build my system. JMHO. :thumb:

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

No MSI for me thank you!

13. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

I don't know much about MSI, but it's been kicking butt in my old HP system :D

ASUS and Gigabyte are two of the motherboard makers that I would recommend nowadays. Gigabyte has less expensive boards and I tend to go with them though :)

14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

MSI really have poor quality boards..heck, i remember reading in a forum that a user complain his mobo tempurature is freaking high...guess what, he remove the heatsink of the mobo, and found out that the thermaltapes (or what ever you guys call it) still has the protective paper on it or rather was not removed :haha:

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! Seriously?? :haha: :haha:

16. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

so the only reliable is Asus and Gigabyte?

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Yeah, seriously..maybe later on i should find the link :haha: that dude even email MSI and they just tell him that they will be more careful next time :lol: