I want to konw AMD 7 series motherboard

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by jolly, Dec 8, 2008.

1. jolly

jolly Newbie

Feel free to express your opinion, and correct me if i am wrong. can 780 chipset support ddr 3 1333 ram if in future there are phenom that are integrated memory controller that support ddr3 1333, can the motherboard support that type of ram and also the the processor

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I don't believe there are any motherboards with the 780 chipset that support DDR3.

3. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

AMD has plans on making an am3 socket for the latest revision of the phenom that will support ddr 3.. am2 and am2+ are ddr 2 only...

4. jolly

jolly Newbie

ya after i gone trough the internet search that 780 chipset didnt support DDR3 but i found that the upcoming dragon platform which support DDR3 ram but i am not sure wheather the upcoming phenom 2 processor do support triple channel ram.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Triple-channel? I doubt it, but you never know.

6. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

at this point looks like amd hasn't announced anything on that yet.. However intel may be planning on supporting this... It also looks like memory manufacturers are making kits for it..

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

8. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

ah thanks for confirming that... I would assume that amd will probably go that way with phenom 2...

9. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

ummm...forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is DDR3 pin-compatible with DDR2 anyway? Don't they have different slots?

10. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

yes different slots... and phenom 2 will be on a new socket am3 to support it...

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Completely different. Not backward compatible.