i7 4500u vs 4510u

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by atwl77, May 10, 2014.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Any practical difference?

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

The 4510u looks a bit faster, And has hyper-threading.:think:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Such a small difference in model number probably means clock speed bump, like the desktop i7 4770 vs 4771.

4. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Get the 4510u.;)

5. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Was looking at the configurations for Dell Inspiron 17 7000 series, there's an RM200 difference between the two.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Both of them support Hyper-Threading, and they are almost identical. The only difference is the clock speed.

The Core i7-4500U runs with a base clock of 1.8 GHz but can turbo-boost all the way to 3 GHz.

The Core i7-4510U runs with a base clock of 2.0 GHz but can turbo boost all the way to 3.1 GHz.

If I'm not mistaken, the Core i7-4510U is a Haswell Refresh CPU, which is supposed to be cheaper... LOL...

7. Chai

It is supposed to be the same price since it was meant to replace the old model. So if there's RM200 difference, get the cheaper one. You won't be able to tell the difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  8. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

If it's meant to be cheaper, then I guess Dell's trying to get rid of old stock by selling the 4500u cheaper than the 4510u.

9. Adrian Wong

From what I understand, Haswell Refresh is supposed to be slightly faster (in clock speed) and slightly cheaper in price, because Intel's going to drag out this core for another cycle.

Yeah, I think Dell is trying to get rid of the older processors. Even though it's just a minor upgrade, to the consumer 4510 is still a bigger number than 4500. :D

10. Chai

It is slightly cheaper, but definitely not RM200 cheaper, not especially when the newer is more expensive than older. 100MHz is not going to make a lot of difference in real world.

11. Adrian Wong

Oops! My bad. The Haswell Refresh CPUs will debut at the SAME price point as the Haswell CPUs they replace. It's just slightly faster, with a slightly higher model number, that's all.

I don't have the mobile CPU details, but here are the details for the desktop Haswell Refresh CPUs - Tech ARP - ED#166 : Intel Haswell Refresh CPU Details Leaked Rev. 2.0

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I'm on a Core 2 Duo 1.4Ghz cpu and an NVIDIA GeForce 320M chipset (MBA 2010). Maverick and Win 8 runs pretty well. So I guess 4500u vs 4510u shouldnt differ alot :mrgreen:

Sorry if i'm not helping your question at all :shifty:

13. Adrian Wong

Hey, I'm on the same MBA 2010 too... but I'll bet you upgraded to an SSD and maybe 8 GB of RAM?

14. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

bingo :haha: