Idle / Load processor temperature variance

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by goldfries, May 8, 2007.

1. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

It's like this, many years of using computer and testing idle and load temps - i've never come by idle vs load to having like 35c apart...........that is until i use newer AMD processors.

my Athlon64 and X2 3600+, both show an idle temp of around 35c or so and load temps that could easily touch 70c or more.

do any of you face the same thing?

btw my boards are both from Biostar (6100-M7, Tforce 550), i can't remember the readings from my DFI Infinity N4x(that kept dying on me) and my ABIT NV8 though.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I can think of a number of factors:
    1. It depends on the cooling efficiency of the heatsink. Usually, idle temperature does not differ that much on various heatsinks.
    2. That's because the idle implementation is better and more efficient (AMD Cool’n’Quiet)
    3. Despite the die shrink, processors are still producing a lot of heat, which is why load temperature is a lot higher.

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hey there,

My idle/load for my X2 3800 is 30/50 for un-overclocked settings.

Like Chai said, it could be of these factors.

Or those Biostar boards sometimes have freaky temp sensors, like my Biostar 6100 AM2. :D

p.s: My Celeron D also having the same problem, but it is actually the temp sensors that are freaking out, so I used a different software for it. But you can judge the temperature physically by touching the HSF. If your hand suddenly jerk out in response of extreme heat, the processor is definitely overheating. If you can grab it, well, it's the sensors. :D

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I agree. :beer:

5. goldfries

now the only thing i'm waiting for is my AM2 bracket so that i could mount my scythe ninja and compare my A64 with my X2.

6. charge-n-go

charge-n-go Newbie

Please check your heatsink mounting.
    As long as u enabled cool and quiet, the heatsink is virtually useless because your CPU works at 3-5W only. Any HSF will give you almost identical idle temperature.

7. wannachill

wannachill Newbie

Pentium 4 Temp

I have a non-overclocked system with new fans on the case and processor and I am still have issues with heat. Mine are as follows;
    Power Supply-36C
    Processor-56C at idle, 80C +++ running any game
    Case 38C
    HDD 37C

I ca n not get my processor to run any cooler.

8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Is it a Pentium 4 Prescott? :haha:

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Looks like a presshot. :p

Well you need better cooling. Good airflow in the case helps a lot as well. :D

10. wannachill

wannachill Newbie

I added another case fan and directed it (out Flow) from the processor. At idle I am still running 54C. Should I redirect the airflow? I am lost on this one. I also changed my processor fan to be certain that was not a problem. By the way, this same system used to run around 40C idle and 55C on a game program, I can;t figure out what may have happened.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Is your heatsink clean? Dust bunnies = high temps. :D

Plot out your air flow by having the air come in the front (and side depends on case) and out the back and top. Make sure that there are equal number of fans blowing in and out. :D It's hard to say coz there are a bunch of different cases.

Hope it will work better for you. :D

12. wannachill

wannachill Newbie

Finally Cool

I went back and rechecked everything I would think of that might be wong. After basically giving up on it. I came back this morning at cleaned everything in the case. After putting back together it's fixed. Processor temo down to 42C Idle, 51C under heavy load.
    Thanks for all the help!!!

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, cleaning can do wonders for cooling. ;)

Just be sure to clean the dust outta your PC at regular intervals for optimal performance. :thumb:

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

e6420 @3.2Ghz stock voltage -> 40c idle/ 60c load
    QX6700 at stock speed/votlage -> 50/82C!!!!! selling it off now.

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow, not bad, 6420 at stock voltage.

Maybe the IHS is not flat?

16. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

E6600 @ 3Ghz -> Idle: 50oC / Load: 63oC

Still stressing. Hopefully there's much headroom for more. :D

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Nice! :thumb:

18. goldfries

i've finally installed LGA 775 bracket on my AM2 board so that i could use my Scythe Ninja again. :D

it works, just that the bracket didn't work too well and i had to loosen the screws just to i don't break anything with excessive force.

so far the temps look good. after I setup the goods, the system was idling at around 43c.

now after F@H for nearly 20 minutes, it's not 46c. :D and it's fanless! my rig totally relies on casing fan - remove any panel and it's going to overhead.

looks like it's heatsink issue. unfortunately the same setup (casing, fanless Ninja) didn't work well with my A64, the temperature variance of 30c was there.

EDITED : btw my X2 3600+ is OCed to 2.5ghz @ 1.2vcore. :D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  19. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Managed to get the E6600 to 356x9 @ 3.2Ghz... Idle: 53oC / Load: 67oC vcore = 1.325V, vdimm = 2.0v

Changed to 400x8 instead @3.2Ghz :D

Tried 410x8 @3280Mhz but failed Orthos at just 30 seconds. :faint:

Guess mine stable will be under 3.3Ghz. :(

Hmm... how much is the maximum cpu voltage for E6600 anyway? :think:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

1.35v is the max accordign to Intel's specification.
    but of course +0.1-0.2 is reasonably safe.

good news is that conroe responds very well to +voltage.

right now L651B is one of the better batch to buy.

what heatsink are u using?