Install new hardware with minimum fuzz?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Olle P, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I'm going to buy some new hardware for my computer; CPU, PSU and a SATA2 HDD.

Currently running 2 IDE HDDs, with plenty of partitions, on an ASUS A8N-E motherboard.

My aim, after installation, is to use the new HDD, parted into two or three partitions, for the OS, and use the old drives for backup with one partition on each.

According to the motherboard's manual installing a SATA-drive is as easy as plugging it in. I can also chose which of all available HDDs that is to be the boot drive in BIOS.

My current main issue is with drive lettering. What's the easiest way to tell the OS (Win XP Home) that the partitions on the new HDD is to have the lower letters (C, D and E) instead of just piling on from J: up (with I: being my current boot partition)?

Cheers
    Olle

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Unplug the older drives when installing the OS on the new drives. This will allow it to use the lower drive letters. THen after that's done, plug in the old drives and windows will not assign a drive letter to them since it's conflicting. Then all you need to do is to go into the computer management and go to the disk management and assign those drives a letter each. that should be it.:D

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yea.. unplug all of them :mrgreen: ...

partitions the HD using the Windows XP installation before continueing to install windows on it :p

4. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

That's what I thought.
    Thanks guys!

/Olle