Insufficient USB Power

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Sep 19, 2010.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hi guys,

Got my new PC and few issues already arise.

I'm using CM690 Advance II casing, MSI P55-CD53 motherboard.

The motherboard has 2 USB headers, I connected the first header JUSB3 to the 2 USB ports from the CM690 casing and the second header (JUSB4) to my card reader.

On the casing USB port, I attach my Level One Hi-Gain 150mbps Wireless-N adapter.

When I insert an SD card into the card reader, it will show the folder and the files but when I try to open the picture, it will just hang there.

However, when I detach the Wireless-N adapter, the card reader works perfectly, can view all photos.

Alternatively, when I plug in the Wireless-N adapter into the back I/O USB ports, the card reader also works perfectly.

I am using Cooler Master GX550 Power Supply.

Any idea why is this happening?

Cheers

2. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

The USB specification places limits on the amount of current output that can be supplied from a single non cascaded output. Depending on the configuration of the USB ports on the motherboard and the controller chipset itself, it can vary but the range is around 500 to 1000 mA.

Your motherboard's implementation might be along the lower end of the scale. It would be either that or the devices are somehow conflicting with one another, although that is not likely.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I guess it's the power issue, I'm using a hi-gain Wifi adapter with a super long omni directional antenna, that could draw lots of power I guess.

No problem when I place the adapter at the rear USB port

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

From my experience, I usually have power problems with the usb headers/front usb ports of the casing.

I'm not sure how much power limit is implemented on each header :think: