Intel Core 2 Performance Comparison Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Chai just did a lot of optimization work. The forums should work a LOT faster now. Seems okay over here BTW.

Hmm.. E4000 should be okay. The Celeron Dual-Core is cheap but the lack of L2 cache really slows things down. Then again, you can always overclock! :D

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I agree with Adrian in his above post. The E6550 I got on sale for around 140CAD here it sat in the box for 3 months before I had the rest of the stuff lol. I picked it up because of the 4M L2 cache and the 1333fsb. The E4xxx series should work well all the C2D's O/C like a bandit lol. ;)

EDIT: On the forum Chai worked hours last night on optimizations seems to be much better now and I think we all owe him a beer :beer:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

We have just updated the comparison guide with the results from the Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 processor! :wave:

Specifications are all well and great, but can you really tell how much faster is one processor from another? Both Intel and AMD are trying to do just that with their model numbering scheme. But with over 30 SKUs, the Intel Core 2 family of processors has become a confusing bunch of numbers.

We begin a performance comparison project for the Intel Core 2 family of processors where we test and compare the Intel Core 2 processors' performance in five different benchmarks. It will show you exactly where a higher clock speed would be more advantageous and where the number of processing cores is far more important, as well as situations where the processor itself won't really matter much.

In this article, we will compare the performance of 18 Intel Core 2 processors in five benchmarks - three game-based benchmarks and two application benchmarks. We hope to add on more and more results as we get hold of additional Core 2 processors over time. Let's take a look at the Core 2 processors we have rounded up for this comparison.

[​IMG]

Link : Intel Core 2 Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 2.6

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Always a nice reference :thumb:

5. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

E4xxx OC really easily because of their multiplier. E7200 is awesome for the price and its multiplier of 9.5x is only matched by the excrutiatingly more expensive E8500.

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

We have just updated the comparison guide with the results from the Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 processor! :wave:

Specifications are all well and great, but can you really tell how much faster is one processor from another? Both Intel and AMD are trying to do just that with their model numbering scheme. But with over 30 SKUs, the Intel Core 2 family of processors has become a confusing bunch of numbers.

We begin a performance comparison project for the Intel Core 2 family of processors where we test and compare the Intel Core 2 processors' performance in five different benchmarks. It will show you exactly where a higher clock speed would be more advantageous and where the number of processing cores is far more important, as well as situations where the processor itself won't really matter much.

In this article, we will compare the performance of over 20 Intel Core 2 processors in five benchmarks - three game-based benchmarks and two application benchmarks. We hope to add on more and more results as we get hold of additional Core 2 processors over time. Let's take a look at the Core 2 processors we have rounded up for this comparison.

[​IMG]

Link : Intel Core 2 Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 2.7