Intel Core Architecture overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by The_YongGrand, Sep 20, 2007.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hey there,

Recently I found out that my 2nd computer (motherboard: P5PE-VM) with that cool CPU-lock free feature.

However, I couldn't push my E2140 to 10x multiplier because 8x is locked. Too bad. Then I tried rmclock and clockgen, and didn't succeeded to change the FSB because when I pushed the FSB, the PCI and AGP went along anyway, so I didn't apply the settings or else it'll hang my system. Curse that stupid absence of AGP/PCI-lock. :haha:

My Asrock 865GV conroe DOES have the AGP/PCI lock, and even maximum FSB up to 300. I haven't tried any of the Core-architecture processors (Celeron 4xx, E21xx, E4xxx, E6xxx) on that board yet, but wishing to do so. My Celeron D 347 did a wonderful 3.8GHz with the fan ended up whirring too loudly. :haha:

I read some of the reviews that the E2140 can be pushed to 1066MHz FSB and even 1333MHz FSB on certain boards (of course with 1333MHz), and apparently the processor itself has a FSB cap for this. Okay, so some of them did the BSEL mod where they short certain contacts on the processor and force it to go 266x4 FSB.

Any experience with overclocking Core processors? The Asrock board is freaky, but surprisingly they have the AGP/PCI lock present. :mrgreen:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sorry, no experience with that motherboard. Was hoping you can try and tell us. :D

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The CPU lock feature only allows you to use stock multiplier and UNDER down to 6x, due to the Speedstep/EIST implementation.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Eh, yeah, you CANNOT go up beyond your stock multiplier. You can go down, but not up.

5. The_YongGrand

Yeah. I think it's the maximum multiplier and the minimum.

But there's a special technique to ramp up the FSB to 1066Mhz - the BSEL mod.

By shorting the specific points beneath the processor 'pins' (contacts) I can get the specific FSB. Some datasheets (E4xxx and E6xxx) actually reveal the charts for 200MHz, 266MHz and even 333MHz (untested). My E2xxx and 4xx only show 200MHz FSB - the rest of the chart is shown as "reserved" although that 266 and 333MHz are hidden there. And best of all, all of these E4xxx, E6xxx, E2xxx and 4xx have the same thing, they all can be enabled FSB1066 if the board allowed.

Unfortunately I don't have a conductive paint here - I've been searching around for that car defogger kit but nothing is there at all. Pencil the thing does not help (it isn't Socket A) and my nearest thing could be an Aluminium foil plus cellophane tape. :haha:

6. The_YongGrand

Finally! :beer:

I used a wire, stripped out of its insulator, and took out a very flimsy strand of silver wire, and cut it very verrrry slowly.

Then I bend it and I took an hour for that wire to short the specific contacts, with the cellophane tape together. Quite a tricky task, and it promises sucess if you can do it. Best of all you can use the conductive paint, but the paint itself is very difficult to be obtained.

The pencil line I tried couldn't conduct electricity well - I tried on a piece of paper, with my homemade circuit tester (battery+wire+LED), and that LED is dim. For now, I didn't do the pencil but will do in the future! Maybe I have to try a 3B and above for this to work properly. Not sure how to erase the pencil line though if I got it mistaken. :haha:

So, I'll upload the photos later, and I got the whole system booting with 1066MHz FSB. 8 x 266MHz = 2.13GHz

Will give you guys an update when I fully torture test the system. BTW, my overclocked system is in the third rig in my sig. :)

7. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

hehe. mine does 3.33GHz, 417 x8. :)

http://www.goldfries.com/hardware-reviews/intel-pentium-dual-core-e2140/

8. The_YongGrand

Cool one, read the review already. :thumb: The next thing is if I have a DDR2 board with C2D support, I'll surely overclock that E2140 of mine.

Best thing is, even P4 506 can be unlocked to 800MHz, and PD 805 too. Other Core models are extremely feasible for the mod.

This BSEL mod is good for motherboards which don't have overclocking capabilities or want to break the FSB wall. Many guys did unlocked their E4300 in the same way with a cheap ECS P4M800 board or something else, which they apparently got it from a discount combo. :shock:

Here's the overclocked Celeron 420 using the mod: :twisted:

Attached Files:

9. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

And you're still looking for a VIA Chipset board with DDR2 + AGP. hrmm.......

10. The_YongGrand

I thought of having a cheap board to start with the BIOS overclocking, but with the lack of benchmark software and stuff like that, I'll pass. I'll see about getting a dirt-cheap DDR2 + PCIE + 1333FSB board if it only exists. :haha:

Anyway, where can I get conductive paint and also that car-window defogger kit? :mrgreen:

edit: Checked some review sites about BSEL mod - there are some motherboards which refuses to go 1066 or 1333 even with the modding. Strange isn't it? :shock: