Intel know if u overclock

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by PowerSlide, Apr 21, 2007.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

beware..:mrgreen:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=632&Itemid=1

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. That seems kind of odd. I don't think Intel would actually waste that much time and money testing to see if it was damaged due to overclocking.

Besides, Intel intentionally removed the multiplier lock for the Core 2 Extreme processors. They have also stated they are targeted at enthusiasts. If that's not an unofficial claim of support for overclocking, I don't know what is.

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yeah. I think they save more cost not checking it and just replacing the dead chip than hiring a bunch of guys and puttin in the processes to check for such cases.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Doesn't make much sense. But I've personally not seen a processor died due to overclocking, I mean nothing excessives like motherboard vcore mod etc.

By the time the processor dies, it's time for a replacement anyway. :D

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yeah, that's true. THe only processors that actually died were mostly also those chipped flipped chip packaging during the Celeron II and Pentium 3 days... even chipped some could still run!

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

IMHO, it sounds more like the retailers are bullshitting their way out of RMAing their customers' dead CPUs. :haha:

7. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I had one CPU die because of overclocking, but I didn't place the cooler properly so it was my fault. Thing is, if I know it's my fault, I gut up and take the cost that comes with it, and I think just about everyone who overclocks does the same because they know there are some risks. Not many any more as the system usually won't even boot if the CPU is being asked too much, but still. I think Adrian is right here, retailers don't want to RMA so they come up with reasons not to do it. Plus, Chai is correct too, when a CPU dies, you might as well replace it anyway because it will be more then outdated 90% of the time.

8. Something12

Something12 Newbie

I always thought the minute you overclock the minute your warrenty is gone, so this isn't such a bad thing as it should be because you've already voided warrenty.

9. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

That's kinda the point here. If you void the warranty, you shouldn't get a free replacement. Honestly, if you do it right, you won't have problems, just like installing the processor. If everything is done right, there shouldn't be a problem. I actually like the idea because this can help keep costs for processors down because they won't replace CPU's when the user is at fault.

10. NoFormz

NoFormz Newbie

1031982, It won't be the case. Cause they'll need more resources to check whether the CPU has been overclocked or not. Like what Adrian said here:

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Quiet NoFormz! I like my fantasy world! Don't make it go away with FACTS! lol

12. Something12

Something12 Newbie

Well people who don't know how to over clock properly (The guys that end up needing warrent and then find out they voided it) shouldn't do it at all unless they know what their doing.

I personally think if a user decides to break their CPU by over clocking it why should the company waste their time fixing the users errors?

13. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i've never broken and processor despite OCing so many.

don't be greedy. :)