Intel or 3rd party board?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Chai, Nov 30, 2004.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

intel board no nice colour scheme while 3rd party board got many feature aso nice colour especially black pcb :thumb:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Intel i925X board uses black PCB. :wicked:

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

that burn in is for u to overclock la :D haha..but not much...
    less than 20% if Im not mistaken..can't remember long time never boot up intel boards adi.. :D

4. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

:oops:
    :haha:
    Sorry for that, I'm just already used to quote you all the time. :mrgreen: ;)

5. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

:eh:
    Mine got a black PCB, like most Intel-boards.

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

to me, Intel desktop board has one of the best "appearance"
    both the box and the board itself :D

slick black PCB and the northbridge heatsink looks massive and nice :D

7. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Just wanted to tell you that I'm really satisfied with this board.
    If you're not interested in/there's no need of useless crap like onboard-audio or PATA-RAID, that's one you should go for in the first place. :thumb:

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

intel boards look cool nowdays...i love black pcb so much

9. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

DFI got black PCB too. And UV reactive plastic mouldings for PCI slots, the CPU slot, DIMM slots and comes bundled with UV reactive cables. ;) I LOVE DFI :thumb:

10. popm8

popm8 Guest

Go buy it.
    It's stable and reliable.
    If you're not overclocking...it should be OK.

11. darkhorse

darkhorse Newbie

guys, what i always think of intel based boards is, if you want stability...they are the most stable boards as i've tested
    but if you wanna tweak or even overclock, forget it. they arent worth nuts. and intel has a certain sometime ago rolled out a ocing tool for thier 865 and 875 chipset but i doubt it has won the heart of fans. but intel boards are one of the most stable boards u can get.

if you got the cash, offcourse go for 3rd party boards with a good reputation and make sure you read reviews first. theres all kinds of 3rd party boards so make sure u do your homework

i personally prefer abit and have been using them for quite some time..4 years to be exact and im never left dissapointed by them. in terms of overclocking, warranty claim and the amount of abuse i do to it, it still is one of the best brand.
    but i think for my nex upgrade i wish to try dfi. heard so much of good stuff from reviews and users.

12. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

I have had 2 intel mobo. I gotta say, they are not the prettiest mobo, not the most feature riched (except I guess current socket T mobo), but they are sure the sturdiest mobo I ever used. They never give me any trouble, I put the stuff in, boot up, bam, the system works, don't usually encounter errors or any conflicts. Plus they do have a good warranty on the mobo.

On the down side is that you can't do much change with it, no OC options.

13. Maximus_Detritus

INtel Boards now Do have the Burn in option. :thumb:

And yes, I love DFI, I would heartily recommend them. Two of us on Team ARP use em, and they;ve been great ;)

TBH, most mobo's nowadays are already pretty stable. The real issue... is compaitbility between differing brands (=

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

The lack of overclocking part turns me off. Even if you don't overclock, its nice to be able to tweak some settings like ram timings...... :mrgreen:

15. Maximus_Detritus

The big bad Intel would never allow you to change RAM timings willy-nilly ;) :haha:

But heck, you spend yoru money on what you want the board to do ;) There is always the option to go for something else, aye? For me, yeah, I'd want soem more tweakability with whatever Mobo I use.

My DFI has settings to go up to FSB400 :shock: I'll never get there, but heck, it's nice knowing that it COULD. LoL!

16. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

I agree with you guys that the option on intel's board is way too limited, I mean not just that chanign the timing for OC, sometimes it helps on certain ram and stuff. But generally speaking I have no need to fiddle much with the intel's bios as most part just work flawlessly

17. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Intel is for stability, reliability, nothing else. :p

18. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

well, stability and trouble-free. I think it's a good board for those who want a stable system and who doesn't know much about computer. I gotta say, sometimes trouble shoot these problems can drives me nuts:).

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Agreed... :lol:

There's other options that give solid reliability and also has the overclocking capabilities... :mrgreen: They cost about the same. So judging by the rules of opportunity cost, I'd go for one that I can tweak with... :mrgreen:

20. Maximus_Detritus

By which you mean paying for the privilege of having the potential to do more than what your initial financial outlay would have ordinarily gotten you ;)