Intel Prices One of Its New SSDs

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I wanted to post this, so thank you. :mrgreen:

Damn, the read speed is incredible, at 250MB/sec! And I'm thinking whether Velociraptor should still be considered, since it's not exactly cheap, and 300GB is too big for my usage.

3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

How fast can it load windows?:think:

4. Chai

Well, Windows loading is not really affected by HDD.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I can't wait to keep my data in one of these drives!!! :D

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I hope it'll be more reliable than a USB flash drive. :think:

7. Chai

That is something I've never really thought of! :haha:

So Velociraptor or SSD? :o

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i'll still stick with HDD. SDD really lacks a standard.

the issue with SSD is that no one dares to say if the current offerings is the final form of SSD. we have MLC and SLC, well for now, but there are a couple of other solutions on the horizon as well. even big memory vendors can't say for sure, though this issue doesnt really affect early adopters apart from maybe paying premium for less than the supposedly "standard" performance (provided other flash technologies can deliver higher performance).

but one thing i like about SSD tech, regardless of how well it will turn out to be, is that it enables even the small fellas to churne out impressive high-performance drives. e.g. memoright's GT series, which beats the crap of out velociraptor. The question is, who the heck is memoright!!????

9. Chai

The good thing about Velociraptor is the access time. But the GREAT thing about SSD is lack of access time. That's why they are far superior in multitask situations, and to a certain extent, loading time.

Intel SSD might have extremely incredible sustained read transfer speed. But it doesn't really matter in real world, unless all you do is just transfer file. Even then, the write speed is average at best.

Maybe I should just get a WD 640GB and be happy. :haha:

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

get the WD black series HDDs! very impressive stuff!

11. Chai

I'm not sure if it fits my usage. I don't really need more space for now.

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

If SSD is like the USB flash drives that I'm used to. I'd definitely not touch it until normal HDDs are phased out. :haha:

I rather it spins hot than having it dies on me after 1 year of usage. :p

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

14. Adrian Wong

IMHO, I would only consider SSDs for shock-proof mobile applications. That means in ultra-light notebooks that I wouldn't mind using on-the-move.

Otherwise, it's very hard to justify the high cost-per-GB.

15. Adrian Wong

Actually, if you want to improve multitasking performance, you can always use the money to buy more RAM and allocate 2-4GB of that to a RAM drive and use that for Windows' temporary files. The rest can be used to cache the hard drives. That should really reduce the effect of the hard drives on the system.

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

ok. then we should shift chai's attention to this

AXT960UD00-25D
    8GB, 1.8v, built-in voltage limiter, 920-930Mhz max, enough headroom to push any 8000 series C2D chip and good enough for mega-tasker :lol:

17. Chai

SSD has its use on desktop. Excellent performance, no noise. If all you care is shockproof, just get a thumbdrive. 16GB is not very expensive. :mrgreen:

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if SSD is used in server environment. Excellent random seek time.

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

welcome to the future :mrgreen: I tot my benchmark was wrong. checked, re-checked, re-rechecked :p small footprint, less heat, out of the world performance. storage guys would love to fit these stuff into their san solutions. doesn't hit your building's power ceiling. only issue is of course, unknown reliability.

Ji liap SGD2,280, ai mai?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  19. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

my computer is the bottle neck ..lol
    damn expensive.. sigh ..

20. Adrian Wong

Server applications, yes. I don't think noise is an issue for them. Power consumption and heat would be significantly lower.

But desktop. Hmm.. Don't see a significant need for them in my desktop. :think: