Internet Connection blocked somehow... wtf!... Help!!!

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Plasma_Man, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

Hi everybody, I'm a new guy around here, please go easy on a newbie :wave:

I have a problem with my LAN connection (10Mb/s). Every time I start my torrent client (BitComet 0.59) and have it running I can't surf, get my mail, it's like I'm not even connected, but the 'Comet runs fine. This goes aswell for my other p2ps, i.e. Emule.
    Does anyone know what the **** this is all about and how I can fix it. It's driving me nuts :wall:

I'm running a
    Winx pro sp2 (firewall off, patched to unlimit # of connections)
    F-secure Internet Security 2005 (best money ever spent)
    I don't have any routers and such hardware, it's simply a Lan-plug in the wall where I directly connect my pc to.

Could somebody please enlighten me with their wisdom :pray: , it worked flawlessly a couple moths ago and I have no freaking idea what changed, maybe through winupdate, I don't know

*edit* It's my birthday today, I'm getting realy old, it sucks, maybe a present *read: solution to this problem* could help :wicked:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think it's just sucking up all your bandwidth.

I have no experience with BitComet but I have this problem with ShareAza... that is until I limited the amount of bandwidth ShareAza is allowed to use.

Once I did that, I never had that problem again. :thumb:

3. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

Dude, you're a genius, I knew it was something very simple... as far as I'm concerned I would have never seen it.

BitComet issue is solved but the Mule is still blocking even though I have it at 96/30KBps (down/up limit). What am I missing...????

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What internet connection are you running on? You can't use up all your upload bandwidth and expect maximum download bandwidth especially if you are using ADSL.

5. Johnie

Johnie Newbie

Hi Plasma_Man and Welcome! ;)

Just wonder....what is your max connection speed(U/D)? Also...do you use both at once(BitComet and Emule)?

EDIT: Chai Chai...hahahaha...faster fingers again huh? :mrgreen: :beer: :cool:

6. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

I have a 10Mbit LAN connection, up/down is shared. As I said, previously, a couple months ago I could easily have chocked the bandwidth with several MBytes of simultanious trafick without any problems with surfing. Something has changed.

Now, I have limited BitComet at 500KB/s and I can surf again while it's up and running.

Mule shouldn't even be a problem since I have the u/d limit at such low level.

So now it looks like this

BitComet + Emule, both work, No surfing.
    BitComet alone (limited), everything works (if unlimited No surfing)
    Emule alone (very limited), works, No surfing

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: So whats the deal with Emule??? I like downloading HDTV series from US since it's not available here in Europe so that little program is important to me.

7. Johnie

Johnie Newbie

Happy Birthsday Plasma_Man... :clap: :dance: :beer: :wave: ;)

So tell me...how many users share that connection with you then? Maybe someone limited your max.Bandwidth? Can you check that out? Also...try lowering "max connections" options at Emule to lower number (I am not familiar with Emule, but most of such programs have that option...ussually its set around 40-60....so in case its much higher...it might prevent you to surf the web at the same time-because it already has too much opened connections.... :wicked: ) The point here is...that even if you have max u/d limit set to 96/30 (as you said above)....too many opened connections might slow everything else up-also prevent browsing, although download wont be higher than i.e. 96KB.... :doh:

Hopefully you'll find the answer to your problem...and if nothing works...come back and we'll find some solution for sure! ;)

Btw...you are one very lucky guy to have 10MBit connection...which country do you live in? I need to relocate there ASAP! :lol: Also...how much do you pay per month for that? :think:

Talk to you soon....happy celebration! :beer: :thumb:

8. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

You know, people should be saying, So, you're one year closer to death, thats gotta suck :| :( :cry:

Just kidding... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back to Emule, I checked it out and lowest I can go without downgrading my download rights is 50 connections. Thats way lower than 400 in deafult setting. It used to be much higher and my line had no problem dealing with that.

Right now I can surf with the mule running but I have to take a 24H test, it has a tendency to choke the bandwith slowly, unlike BitComet witch blocks the connection immediatly even though I've got nothing running on it.

To your other questions...
    This 10MB line is all mine and I'm not sharing it with anyone :snooty: , I have never experienced a slowdown since it's dedicated bandwith on local ISP server. It costs around 30USD a month in this Freezer, I mean Sweden. I can have broadband through 3 different sources from three different companies, thereof the low price, lucky me :mrgreen: , I guess.

So the conclusion, everything is working after I inforced connection and bandwith limits, why, I have no idea, it used work flawlessly, maybe it's my network card that needs new drivers, or my ISP is keeping an eye on me so I don't overuse their precious servers :think: . Gonna have to do some more detective work on this one.

9. Johnie

Johnie Newbie

We are all following your PATH...so dont worry...everything comes to an end someday...and meanwhile...lets enjoy and have some fun... :clap: :mrgreen: ;)

So...I am glad you fixed the problem...and like I said...400 is way too much! Thats why you couldnt surf when running Emule (and I believe downloads also werent as fast as now, cause computer was too busy with making all those connections...)... :doh: 400...hahahaha...still cant believe my eyes....hahahaha...the maximum that i've set at Overnet (almost same as Emule) was some 120 connections...and I already have problems with that...so 400...WOOOW...way too much! Maybe someone was playing with those settings? Or you mistakenly changed them? Cause 400 surely isnt original setting there! Its like this...best option (so they say) is around 40-60...but (thats the way I do it - so its not necessary that it will work the same for you too, but its worth to try) when all connections are connected (I believe there must be status bar below where all that is shown)...you may change settings bit higher...to maybe 75...and if that fills up...also to some 95-100 connections..then you'll see where it stops...and have max connection setting set at that number... Or you may just put it to some 75 for a start without any problems...and also surfing shouldnt be limited at that amount...just do some detective work as you said...and you'll soon discover what works best for you (you can go even to 200 in case it works and if you will be still able to surf the web in same time)...just dont NEVER EVER set it to 400! :haha: :twisted:

And about 10MB line...believe it or not...when you said that you have that line...I thought of only 2 options...either you mistakenly wrote you network card capability (most of them are 10 or 100Mbit...) or you live in Sweden or Norway...cause I know that people there are blessed with such fast connections for few $$$ only... :clap: :dance: :beer: So you really are one very lucky guy! I just wonder when this will be possible in our country...huhhhhh....maybe soon, cause competition is raising between ISP's here...so lets hope for the best... :cool: ;) Btw...is it true (I heard somewhere) that you also have 15Mbps connections there (maybe even faster ones)? :think:

And for the end...BitComet is way better for fast downloads...and much more clients with fast upload capabilities are there to download from...and Emule...its so-so...it much more depend on other users-which mostly use slower connections that at BitComet (and you cant expect to get i.e. 1MBps download even from 100 users who are still on dial-up (100x5Kbps=only 500Kbps...))...and whats even worse...you need to share more (upload) to get better download speeds... :thumb:

I prefer BitComet...but its up to you to decide...Good Luck! :clap: :hand:

10. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

So 400 was waaaaaaaaaaay off, why the hell do they put it as deafult... hmm... :think: I don't know man, it used to be like 2000 connections as deafult and has been steadily dropping over the years and I never even looked at that. :shifty:
    I use both BitComet and Emule since they cover two areas, one is for torrents and the other for ordinary file-sharing. I do prefer Emule even though it can take a week to download something. There's more comfort to it, it's "relaxed" and better organized imo.

10MB seems reasonable for a reasonable price, one can choose from 128kB-100MB, this 100MB line costs ~60USD/month but it's way too much for my needs. :rolleyes: And it has certain limitations as max GB/month... so thats a big turn-off. There's also an unlimited 24MB line but then again it's more expensive and I don't really need that much

11. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

Hello again, unfortunately I still have the problem. The good news is my ISP will upgrade my connection to 100Mbit/s both ways some time in February :drool: :faint: FREE OF CHARGE, SAME MONTHLY FEE!!! Could you believe these guys, I ask myself why, what's so evil about that corporate rule, makes no sense :nuts:

I just don't get it, as soon as I start BitComet or Emule the connection is blocked, I stop all transfers but to no good, all it takes is to have any of the two progz started and tada, no surfing :boohoo:
    It did go away for a while but here it is again, pissing me off more then ever before, somebody please help!

12. Adrian Wong

100mbits/s?????? :shock:

Where are you located???? :mrgreen:

It could be your router or modem. Some routers cannot handle a large number of connections and it kills the Internet connection.

13. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

I am located in the in the wilderness among trees and wolves, just kidding but is also true, Stockholm is the place.

Nice try but I don't have nor router or switch or modem, it's strait from the wall.

14. Adrian Wong

From the wall?? Are you staying in an apartment or a dorm?? :think:

Even if you don't have your OWN router, the LAN connection to your computer will be handled by a router in your building.

15. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

I know that, my community (if I must call it something) is consisted os some 200+ apartments, we all have this ISP as an option. Where this router is nobody really knows. I don't know if the router is the problem, even if I have no torrents in my BitComet the connection is blocked, same with Emule. The number of connections is hardly the issue here, imo.
    I could surf with Azureus running but it is soooooooooo slooooooooow and other offsprings of Edonkey don't even cross my mind, Emule is best, period.

Could it be a conflict with F-Secure-IS ??? Or maybe some option in registry that is True but should be False or reverse???

16. Adrian Wong

Well, did you check with your ISP to see if they are blocking those ports? I know that some "local ISPs" that service apartments do that. :think:

Also, you should configure your software firewall to open ports that Emule uses. :think:

17. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

What ports would that be??? Those used by Comet and Mule are open and working, the problem starts when one or both of progz are up and running, thats where I can't surf anymore, even though both programs are transferring data like everything is ok :confused: . I tried limiting the number of connections down to 1, no effect. I tried different Internet browsers, nada.

I just don't get it, its all very :think: :wall:

18. Adrian Wong

Oooh... Both of them are still transferring files. :mrgreen:

Okay, you need to reduce the amount of bandwidth they are sucking. You can do so in Comet and eMule. Just limit the amount of upload and download bandwidth they BOTH take to about 75%.

That will leave at least 25% of your bandwidth for fast browsing, etc.

19. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

How do I do that exactly??? If you mean those max dl/up rate options in the prefrences it doesn't really work, it does do the limit and keeps it there, I set it as low as 30KB but the problem persists.

Is there a way to limit these programs bandwith in the network settings, I can't see any way of doing it in the F-Secure.

20. Adrian Wong

You have to set the limits within the software itself.

Remember to calculate the speeds correctly. For example, if you have a 1mbps connection, you are only getting something like 800kbps (kilobits per sec.) in most cases. That translates into a speed of 100KB/s (kilobytes per sec.).

So, in both P2P software, limit them to something like 40KB/s each. And that's just for downloading. You need to do the same for uploads as well. But remember, ADSL connections have a very low upload speed. For Streamyx's 1mbps line, you only have a "maximum" upload speed of 384kbps.