Internet connectivity in Melbourne, Australia

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Adrian Wong, May 24, 2010.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'll be going to Melbourne for about a week in early June. Does anyone know what's the best option as far as Internet connectivity is concerned? Is there free WiFi? Or an affordable WiFi plan?

I checked out a few data roaming plans, and DiGi appears to have the best plan. RM 36 per day unlimited. Unfortunately, it's only for DiGi postpaid and DiGi broadband customers. Prepaid customers are not entitled to this promotion. :wall: :wall:

Maxis, which I'm stuck with, has this ridiculously expensive Bridge Alliance plan. They charge something like RM 1.46 per KILOBYTE for the first 30 KB of EACH transaction and then RM 0.49 for subsequent KILOBYTES. :nuts:

Assuming that averages out to RM 1 per KB, their three plans will be like this :

RM 50 = 200 KB per month
    RM 99 = 500 KB per month
    RM 180 = 1.1 MB per month

Insane! Even just loading websites, I can probably burn through the 1.1 MB within 10 minutes. :nuts:

So if you have stayed in Melbourne before, or are currently staying there, do let me know what my best options are. Thanks!!!

2. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

If you have a 3G dongle, you can get a prepaid plan, then pay around 20 dollars for a data allocation. That seems like the best value for money if you ask me.

A late reply, but i guess it should serve as good advice for anyone planning on visiting australistan.

3. Adrian Wong

Love Melbourne! Will probably go back again one day.

What kind of prepaid plans are there? And how many GB do you get for 20 dollars? Is there a time limit, or it's just based on the total amount of bandwidth used?

4. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

All the major telcos have a data plan for prepaid. If your phone supports tethering, it shouldn't be an issue as well. I usually tether my iphone to my laptop and let it do it's thing.

1gb should be around 10 dollars on average. Time limit to use is around 30 days.

5. Adrian Wong

That's not too bad. Will check it out the next time I'm in Melbourne. Plus I'm sure it comes with a certain number of calls, right? That sure beats using the payphone!