Internet Problems (network adapter?)

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Junesie, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Junesie

Junesie Newbie

Hello All:beer:
    I'll try to keep this short, straight to the point, precise detail, because if I went into detail it would be a couple pages. This problem that my computer has, has been bothering me since November, when I started using this computer... Since November 2005 I have went through absolutely everything that I could think of trying to fix it. The past couple months I haven't bothered anymore, since I'm out of ideas. I've decided to post here, worth a shot, many computer intelligent people here:wave:
    Okay, so here's the problem. When playing online games, downloading, or anything else that uses cpu power (using power in general) my internet freezes, or rather the network adapter freezes. To fix this a reboot works, or a shortcut I found a couple months ago. I downloaded broadcom advanced control suite and when my network adapter freezes up I just run a test under the diagnostic tab, then the internet is working again, saves me the minor trouble of rebooting 100 times a day.
    It really sucks, I sure miss playing online games. Even a little game like sumo volleyball (web game) causes it to freeze up, so frustrating!
    At the beginning I though it might have been my router, but I spent a month going through that whole thing, I excluded it a long time ago. Had my inside wiring redone for nothing. The other two computers that use the router in this household have no problems. I've tried the static IP, DMZ thing, everything, no change. So a couple months later fooled around with the BIOS for awhile, no change.
    I've done about 10 reformats, tried with no service pack, with service 1, and service pack 2, no diff. Tried all kinds of different network settings, altering services. I also did that thing to change to 50+ max half open connections thingy(cause I think service pack 2 lowers it or something), no diff. Used TCP optimizer. O man, so many thing, I've forgotten some stuff, no doubt. I've learned a lot along the way though.
    You know, If I had to guess, it's one of two things, my network adapter is busted (the ethernet thing)"broadcom5702" or my power supply is faltering<<I somehow think it aint this though cause other than the internet everything else on my computer works fine eh.
    One other note, when my internet freeze, I go into network connections in control panel and right click on connection(broadcom netXtreme) to disable and reenable, when i try to disable it it gets stuck, it wont change, so after 10 minutes waiting and trying again, I try to reboot, but then windows hangs too, lol, so I just press the reset button, thought maybe that was worth noting.
    So ya, it really sucks I haven't been able to play and enjoy online gaming such as UT2004:( or classic C&C Renegade (I miss you!) I can still download but i have to monitor it, with broadcom control suite nearby, have to do it like 1000 times:faint:

Anyway, maybe someone has an idea of what it could be?maybe a solution. What do you's think it could be?
    I uploaded a file that contains info on my computer, I hope it has everything.
    One other note, this past Christmas I got 1 gig of Ram which I added. The network adapter freezing problem happening before adding that 1 gig of Ram and after, just thought I'd add that.
    Okay so I lied, I tried my best to keep it short, I swear!!!:angel:
    Looking forward to hearing from people, their thoughts and maybe a possible solution.

Mike:wave:

Attached Files:

2. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

it might cause by your other hardware problem, VGA card, CPU, Memory or motherboard.

have u try with WinXP Pro?

3. Junesie

Junesie Newbie

Hi, thank you for the reply.
    Wow, really? Video card could cause it? One thing is certain, it's definitely hardware, but what exactly.:think:
    I've excluded Ram out of the picture months ago, because at a time I thought it could be the cause of it. So what I did in January with the Ram I got was I took out the original 1 gig ram and put in the new 1 gig of ram I got for Christmas. So after 20 minutes using the computer, bam, it happens again:( network adapter (internet) freezes up.
    I even tried Windows XP Pro for a couple months, no change. I went back to Home as Pro includes more stuff I don't use.
    I'm tempted to try out Windows Vista Beta, I really really doubt it would "fix it", Windows Pro didn't.
    I wish I had some "tools" to do a hardware checkup on my computer, that would be cool.

Mike.

4. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

yup, any hardware inside the box will cause ur computer not in well condition. If it is not freeze up when u running 3D, then the posibility for the VGA card failure is not big...but still got the chance there...

may be u need to try swap hardware one by one, then only can know what giving problem.

wat u already did is change RAM and network card. Now u may try other VGA card, if still the same problem...then....left only mobo and CPU.....u may need to format if try with other motherboard

b4 that...is the CPU fan running?

5. Junesie

Junesie Newbie

Hi again :cool:
    Ya, the cpu fan is running, looks kinda dirty inside (behind cpu fan) though :cry: dust sucks.
    Ahh, just a note, The network adapter hasn't been replaced, I didn't think you could take that off motherboard and put a new one in. It's the original broadcom 57 thing.( a square silver thing)
    One note that might be worth mentioning, everytime I do a reformat and reinstall Windows, the ethernet driver is never installed automatically. In years past with different computers I always remembered that after installing Windows that I would never have to install an ethernet driver, Windows would do this during Windows installation. I've tried the ethernet driver (broadcom57) from the motherboard site (Aopen) and broadcom.com, no difference.
    One other note, The network adapter(internet) stalls/freezes occurs much more often than earlier this year, and easier. Now it'll happened when I'm browsing the internet sometimes.
    Months ago I could download/upload for 2 hours without it happening, now it's like 1 minute to 20 minutes:cry:
    Any combination of cpu power/power +internet will do it instantly it seems.

Mike.

6. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

u mean onboard network adapter? then u may go in bios to disable it, then put in new NIC and have a try.

forgot to mention...sometime HDD can cause the problem also, always happen to me because of the power connector to HDD not connect properly...but i dont think u having tat problem...nvm, try to replace the NIC first

7. Junesie

Junesie Newbie

Ya, it's onboard LAN, sorry I wasn't more clear.
    I'll have to bring my computer into a shop, get her looked at.
    I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but it look like I don't have a choice eh:(

8. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

yup, it's better to let the tech have a look:)