Interplay shuts down Black Isle Studios

Discussion in 'Games' started by Falcone, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

First Westwood now this......*sigh :wall:

2. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

westwood also close down??????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    waaaaa....all the good producers....all gone????? .... wasted.... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

3. Falcone

Westwood is not confirm, but if you go www.westwood.com, u'll notice their website is no longer around.....

4. lung

lung Just Started

What about the in-development games (eg. Fallout3)? Will they be cancelled? :think:

5. Falcone

One word....canned....

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow... That's terrible news. I played Fallout 2 and I thought it was a really great game. A bit buggy... but very nice to play nonetheless.

Sad to see even such game developers getting canned. :wall:

7. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

how come westwood can close down????? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: ....their games popular wat.....sell a lot alreadi.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

8. lung

lung Just Started

Westwood didn't close down. They are bought by EA, and integrated into the company...

9. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

10. streem

streem Newbie

EA filthy rich....

11. aMDCoPPeR

aMDCoPPeR Newbie

LOL, EA may soon become Gamezilla! :mrgreen:

12. lung

lung Just Started

Yea, these days all the small companies are bought by all the large companies. Namely, EA, Sierra, Activision, Interplay. Most good games are published by these BIG FOUR. Oh, yea... Let's not forget LucasArts and MICROSOFT. :mrgreen:

13. what about blizzard/vivendi?

what did black isle produce? wasn't it black and white?

14. lung

lung Just Started

Blizzard produces only 1-2 games per year, so I don't really consider them as a MEGA company :)

Vivendi? They don't produce games... They are just the parent company of Blizzard and Sierra, too, if I'm not mistaken... :think:

Black Isles Studios is a sub-division of Interplay that produces very good RPGs. Eg. Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, ...

Black & White is produced by Lionheart Studios and published by EA, nothing to do with Black Isles...

15. Falcone

Well one thing for sure... I favourite Westwood is longer around. :cry:

16. Falcone

Just to add that Blizzard is not doing well too, Vivendi is in shit now and is trying to sell its games division.

Blizzard North(creator of Diablo) three co-founders and its vice president has left the company.

17. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

NNOOOOOOoooOOOOOOoooOOOOoooOOOOOOOoooooooo :cry:
    Nonononononoonononononononononoononononononoonooooooooooooonoono

not Black Isle of all... NooonooONOooooononoononononononoononono..

this cannot be!!!! NOoooOOOooooOOOOoooooo

sorry for being emotional.. But i totally totally LOVED Black Isle games... OMG.....

NooooOOOOOOoooooooo. one the only last hope for good RPGs :cry: :cry: :cry:

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :( :( :( :( :(

18. Brian

Brian Newbie

grr, that may explain why 1.13 war3 patch sucks :wall:

19. lung

lung Just Started

Guys, I think I found the successor to Black Isle.

Enter Troika... (I think some of the co-founders from Black Isle founded this company)

First game - Arcanum (I think)... A not so good game...
    Latest game - Temple of Elemental Evil... This game is damn good... Imagine Fallout in an Icewind Dale settings... And this is what you get... Even the ambience music sounds like Fallout...

Too bad the game is still buggy even after the first patch (again, reminds me of Fallout :lol:)

20. Falcone

Most of the ex BIS has moved to this company called Obsidian Entertainment, recently signed a partnership deal with BioWare....which includes developement on some RPG games... possibly KOTOR 2!?

http://pc.ign.com/articles/454/454330p1.html