Intreasting problem.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Dec 30, 2015.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok, this is a new build.
    Every once in a while the system juts locks up. No warning, no error, and no response from anything. Whatever was going on is locked on screen, and not even the reset button works. My only option is to hold the power button until it shuts off, or pull the power.
    I can't even ping the system from another device on my network.
    There are no errors or events in the logs, and it doesn't matter what I am doing. I could have my PC sitting there on the desktop, or could be in the middle of a game.
    It usually happens after it's been on for about 4 days to a week.
    Ram checks out OK from Memtest and the CPU and board seem to be OK through the Intel Burn In Test on a 20+ loop.
    Here is where there might be a problem, I need this running for school that starts next week.
    In addition, this system is the ONLY system that can be used for my school. This unfortunately means I can't really be doing a bunch of testing or swapping. I really can't spend time re-installing everything. It takes 3 days to 5 days to re-install everything, hence it not being an option.
    Here are the specs, any help would appreciated.

No overclocking.

Windows 7 PRO
    Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI-CF BIOS version F5
    Intel i5 6500
    Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 2 x 4GB DDR4-2400 PC4-19200
    PSU is SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
    nVidia GTX 650 Ti
    One USB 3 add in card.
    Three HDD's
    Two Blu-Ray burners
    PCI Video capture card
    PCI Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum

Of this, the only new components are the board, RAM, CPU, and power supply. Everything else was brought from my old system.

2. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Never mind, I think I got this figured out.
    It's looking like either my video card is getting too hot, the card is failing, or the power supply is faulty.
    I left Furmark running with a limit of one hour before I went to bed. Woke up to find my system frozen again.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Go to BIOS and check the voltages, and also disable any auto-overclocking if there's any.

4. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Here ya go. As I said, I didn't overclock.
    I removed my capture card and the +5v is now at 5.01. Everything else is the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

How about removing the graphics card and just the onboard?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Actually, the reason I pulled the capture card is because it was covering half the video card's fan. I was hoping that it would not be an issue, however it seems my whole system is a bit snappier without it.
    It's an old PCI KWorld DVD maker. Seeing how I will eventually need to replace it anyway, as long as the system works without it, it's not a big loss.
    I was doing VHS to DVD conversions of home movies, but that hasen't happened for some time now, and I won't have the time to do that for a while anyway.

7. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok, system just did it again at 4:10.

Small info, apparently Windows sees a Microsoft PS/2 Mouse. Not sure where it came from, as I have nothing connected to the PS/2 port.

Think it might be the board...?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  8. Chai

Remove as many components as possible, then test system stability again.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

What Chai said.

How about some pictures of your build while we are at it.:)

10. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

The only problem with that is testing the system stability always comes up clean. It takes days for it it happen.
    As for the graphics card being a problem, it was brought over from the previous build. It has been working for over a year, the only issue I could think of would be the slot it's installed in.

However, I will try dropping stuff to minimal. Pure on-board things. Not a highlight, and rather bothersome with the loss of functionality. I'll also try stress testing the system. This will be later on today, as I need to uninstall drivers and software for the sound and video card.
    I can provide pictures, once this system is truly stable. Until then, I am more concerned about it properly working. If I need to change anything, the look changes anyway.

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

New possible symptom, my mouse is almost regularly "freezing" for a second or two and then acting normal...

12. Chai

I don't think you need to uninstall the drivers, unless they are the root cause, which is pretty unlikely.

13. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

If I have to take out my sound card, I do. That will be the last thing to go though.
    Right now, I have it without the USB 3 add in card.

14. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

It's definitely the board. All my bios settings get reset and it tried to boot from an external drive because it was connected.
    I'll start the RMA process and hopefully they will do an advanced RMA so I can keep a partly working system.

Unless someone thinks it might be the power supply.

15. Chai

I don't think power supply will cause lock up issues.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

16. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, it started doing other things, like resetting the BIOS and not letting me boot without manually selecting the hard drive with the Windows install.
    I exchanged it and the CPU out for a replacement where I originally purchased them from.

17. Chai

Let us know if the replacement parts work!

18. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

It will probably take a few days to verify, but if the system doesn't lock up after a week I would assume it's good.
    Funny thing, my mouse is basically dead. It lasts a few hours and just cuts off. I swapped the keyboard and mouse and the mouse dies out again.

19. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, it just did it again. I went into the BIOS to check temps and the CPU was at 32c and the board was at 33c. The fans started to go full blast.

Might have a lead. Apparently with pci bridges my soundcard might cause lockups. I'll go through some 3rd party driver packs.
    Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  20. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Forgot to mention this, new mouse works just fine. No more freezing.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk