Intreasting problem.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm still confused. Did you find out what was causing the problem?

2. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

At this point, I am still waiting to verify stability. It would take up to about 5 or 6 days to lock up, so I'm stuck waiting.
    On the plus side, swapping out the board and CPU has caused my system to improve performance, getting a new mouse eliminated the pointer on screen from stopping, and I'm almost at a full two days without a lockup.

3. Chai

That's great to hear!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Yep, but I hope you understand why its taking so long to verify. When it could take six or seven days to lock up, I need to wait that long to make sure its all working properly.
    Real annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

5. Chai

I believe it's the motherboard. That's usually the hardest to troubleshoot.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, sounds like the motherboard. I've seen perfectly good motherboards just fail or perform oddly for no apparent (visible) reason.

7. Adrian Wong

Incidentally, if you are using a wireless mouse, it can behave badly if there is a USB 3.0 device connected next to its wireless dongle, or if you didn't pair it with the keyboard wireless dongle (if it's from the same manufacturer).

8. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

But that wouldn't explain me having a lock up after the board was swapped out.

9. Adrian Wong

Sorry, I must have missed a post. I thought you were WAITING for a lock up after the board swap?

10. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

It's a little of both.
    After the swap, it locked up one time. However I had more information to go on. For one thing, I had a partial error. It had something to do with the sound card. I put the DanielK driver on, and it seems to be working.
    In addition, the system has been quicker after the swap. Boot before was over a minute and a half, now it's a minute.
    Seeing how the core driver is the same, I'm leaning toward the board was bad and when I installed the sound card driver it got screwed up because of something on the board. Removing the driver and putting a new copy on corrected the issue.
    This is assuming that the system is stable now.

If it is, then I'll re-install my capture and USB add-on cards.

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, officially ran into a lockup. So close, but so far.
    I noticed that one of my optical drives went missing, so I swapped the sata cable.

12. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Got another lockup. I'm going to swap the RAM out for some that's on the qualified list. I'm running out of things to do though.

13. Chai

What else did you not change?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

14. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Now that the RAM is swapped out, that leaves the power supply.
    Things that were brought over are the fallowing (not all installed) :
    Three hard drives, two optical drives, video card, soundcard, video capture card, and a USB 3 add-in card.
    At this point, only one sata cable is old, but its hooked up to an optical drive.

15. Chai

But the power supply is new, right?

16. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Yep. I really hope that's not the problem though. If it is, I don't have one to power this system. My old one doesn't have an eight pin connector good the CPU.
    Plus, I ordered it online, so it will be a pain to exchange. If I need to, I'll get a hold of Seasonic first to see about an advanced RMA. If they won't do one, I might as well use Newegg.
    However, running stress tests don't have an issue, and that's with running thge Intel burn test with furmark at the same time for about 20 minutes. I would think that would stress the PSU because of thge pull from board, CPU, and video card.

This initial $601 pc turned into almost $700. That wasn't in the budget, so I'm stretched thin for options.

17. Chai

It is actually possible to use just 6 pins on the 8 pins connector, if you are willing to test the old power supply.

18. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, right now I'm going to see what happens with the RAM.

19. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

2 days and 10 hours to go till I call it stable.

20. Chai

So it was the ram?