Introducing Nintendo Wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by acedriver, Apr 28, 2006.

1. acedriver

acedriver Just Started

2. A nintendo freak on my right is saying it's a really great name.

"It is, and I'm not a Nintendo freak, I'm a Sega freak".

Sadly enough, though, it looks like I'll have to either live with that name in my living room, or pony up the cash for the PS3.

EDIT: I HATE INTELLITXT

3. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

:eh:

hopeless would be a better name.

4. Kalo

Kalo Newbie

Yeah, everyone I seem to talk to feels the same about the name. It's pretty terrible if you ask me, I don't know what they were thinking. :nuts:

5. acedriver

acedriver Just Started

6. Kalo

Kalo Newbie

Very interesting argument. I suppose everyone can suggest 'what's in a name, anyway' and be celebrated as correct. In the end however, Wii sales won't be based on the name of the system, but primarily other components such as graphics, sound, etc. Time will tell the story of both Wii, and it's code name: Revolution. Cheers on that find, acedriver, good read.

7. acedriver

acedriver Just Started

i is the new X in marketing these days. Instead of Xtreme or Xtra, we've been seeing iPod, iPaq, TiVo, Viiv, and now Wii.

I'm just waiting to experience new way of playing console game. Instead of pushing the button, we can swing it for golf/tennis. :D

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

OT : Sorry, but it's a necessary fact of free websites that survive on advertising. :(

9. Kalo

Kalo Newbie

True, and personally, i'd rather have to deal with ads(and I don't mind clicking them a few times to help out) than to be committed to paying each month like the rest of my bills. :)

10. dough boy

dough boy Newbie

they should have sticked with revolution :/

11. acedriver

acedriver Just Started

After several years, it'll not be revolution anymore. Wii is easier to remember and pronounce although it sounds silly. Does the name iPod describe its function? No. How about Viiv?

It generates controversy. It's free publicity. Perhaps they can start a true revolution just as noisy as the iPod’s has been. It all starts with a name.

My only worry is games will be named -Wii. I mean Super Mario Wii would just not be right :p

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

How do you pronounce that? "Wee"?

13. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

i think pronounce as "why" hehe...
    prefer revolution, sound nicer.

anyways...hope the games are fun :wicked:

14. acedriver

acedriver Just Started

as in "we".

15. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

It will be interesting to see if the ... wii (cringe) finally breaks into the adult market, something Nintendo has been trying to do for awhile now. This appears to be the most aggressive attempt yet, with the dropping of the Nintendo name from the console, the controller that looks like a remote, etc

16. Kalo

Kalo Newbie

LOL, Donkey Kong Wii... :p Ownage(sick, but ownage)...lol. :)

17. =CDU=Above

=CDU=Above Newbie

18. Prototype

Prototype Newbie

19. djIhcoro

djIhcoro Newbie

Holy crap! That was awesome. rofl :haha: x10000

20. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

umm.... They should have stuck with the Revolution ;)

Although, when you think about it, "Playstation" is kind of a hokey name... and I still hate "XBox" as it just gives me flashbacks to the 90's (X-Treme and whatnot :p)