Is asus P5K-VM able to support a esata hdd enclosure?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Johnny_75, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Johnny_75

Johnny_75 Newbie

I'm looking to buy an esata hdd enclosure (Vantec NST-360SU) for windows backup, i have checked the manual and it did not mention of any esata support though the G33 chipset supports esata.

I'm on Winxp sp3, if i'm not wrong this motherboard should be able to support esata enclosures provided i do the following correctly:

1. Connect the esata enclosure to a esata to sata adapter/external esata 1 port bracket cable or whatever you call it..
    , then just connect the sata connector end to one of the internal sata ports.

2. As i am not on windows AHCI so before booting the pc i should power up the enclosure first.

Not intending to hot swap the enclosure when in esata yet, need to know if this basic requirement can be met. Can anyone share their experience if this is correct?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

eSATA is basically a normal SATA port meant for external use. Just treat eSATA as a normal SATA port. In fact, you can even get a SATA to eSATA converter.

3. Johnny_75

Johnny_75 Newbie

Oic, Thanks for the advice. Going to buy a external enclosure and try it out soon. :)

4. Chai

The eSATA enclosure that I bought came with SATA to eSATA bracket.

5. Johnny_75

Johnny_75 Newbie

I am getting this one vantec nst-360su, it comes with a SATA to eSATA bracket too. By the way what model of enclosure are you using?

6. Chai